Difference between a 12 and 13-14

blksnake

Established Member
I have a 12 with a vmp tvs charger and other mods pushing 700rwh. My question is I have come across a 13 at a cheap price with 4000 miles. just wondering if its worth selling my 12 for the 13. Will a modded 13 hold any more power than my 12? Do the 13's have any other big differences except for launch control that will make the trade worth my time.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I'm biased but, assuming you know the '13 is unmolested, I'd go for it. They're both great cars but according to several accounts I've read, including this one, "simply putting more boost to a '12 GT500 will not deliver a '13 GT500--the new car is a cohesive mix of upgraded mechanicals, electronics, aerodynamics and support systems."

Obviously, you can install a lot of mods on your '12 for the price of upgrading to a '13. In the end, it probably comes down to which car you'd rather drive.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
I like the rear end of the 13 shelby better as well and it cost me 1800 dollars to make 692rwhp while keeping the car almost stock in ride and sound.

ThomasL

Established Member
I had my '12 for a year and a half and traded for a '14. Best decision i've made as far as cars go (maybe not financially :D). The new gauge display screen, taillights, power, overall looks, launch control yada yada yada was a no brainer for me. Do it now if that '13 is in great shape and you can afford it. Don't keep cruising around in that 12 if you're gonna be thinking "what if" all the time.

big_ole_truck

Established Member
I don't have the links available for the youtube videos but if you search, Ford describes all the components upgraded or new for the 2013 Shelby GT500. It's rather an exhaustive list of components, both standard and optional.

Basically, the powertrain is revamped, including the clutch/pressure plate, transmission-driveshaft connection, suspension changes, some aerodynamic improvements, brakes, instrument cluster revamped, optional coolers for transmission, differential, engine oil, and launch control just to name a few. There's some exterior design cue differences, notably the rear end appearance and the front chin spoiler. SVTPP wheels are also different. The way the clutch engages on the 2013/14 Shelby is different too (you may not like the change).

I had a 2011 Shelby GT500 and thought about doing upgrades to it. In the end, I took the easy way out and traded it in for a new 2014 Shelby. There hasn't been a moment of regret doing the trade.

Last edited:

dom418

Established Member
Obviously the 13 is superior out of the box. I guess it comes down to how much you would lose on selling your 12. Looks wise the 2 are very similar so it's about performance at this point. I wouldn't do it simply because the 2 like too similar. I'd wait for the next gen cobra and see what that offers.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I traded my 12 on a 14, but my 12 was stock (and had 57K miles to boot). If I had 700 whp on my 12, I probably would have kept it. The trinity is better in every way than a stock 12, but considering it's going to be 100 whp shy of your 12 AND have less aggressive gearing, my guess is you will feel underwhelmed. You could always go test drive it and see though.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I don't have the links available for the youtube videos but if you search, Ford describes all the components upgraded or new for the 2013 Shelby GT500. It's rather an exhaustive list of components, both standard and optional.
The videos were originally distributed to Ford dealers, via marketing DVD, as a series of short/separate summaries of the 2013 Shelby's major system (i.e., Suspension and Brakes, Aerodynamics and Driveline, Cooling, Engine and Supercharger) upgrages. A compilation appears to have been re-released for 2014 and someone kindly uploaded it to YouTube.

paluka21

Established Member
I traded my 12 on a 14, but my 12 was stock (and had 57K miles to boot). If I had 700 whp on my 12, I probably would have kept it. The trinity is better in every way than a stock 12, but considering it's going to be 100 whp shy of your 12 AND have less aggressive gearing, my guess is you will feel underwhelmed. You could always go test drive it and see though.

This may seem like a naive question, however was there a discernible difference between the '12 and your '14? I've never driven a 2011 or 2012, however speaking with a 2011 owner recently, they told me there wasn't a night and day difference in the feel between a 2011 and 2013/14. I didn't argue, however given the hp/tq increase, I would think there would be.

ThomasL

Established Member
This may seem like a naive question, however was there a discernible difference between the '12 and your '14? I've never driven a 2011 or 2012, however speaking with a 2011 owner recently, they told me there wasn't a night and day difference in the feel between a 2011 and 2013/14. I didn't argue, however given the hp/tq increase, I would think there would be.

There absolutely is. I went from a pulley and tuned '12 to a stock '14 and it was a big difference. Just my opinion. And now having modded the '14......it's on a whole new level above the '12.

paluka21

Established Member
There absolutely is. I went from a pulley and tuned '12 to a stock '14 and it was a big difference. Just my opinion. And now having modded the '14......it's on a whole new level above the '12.

Thanks for confirming Thomas. That's what I expected. Perhaps the 2011 owner was a little butt hurt with his recent purchase of the used 2011..buyers remorse perhaps? I was telling him that the 2014 to *me* feels like an 11 second car, albeit traction limited. I can't compare the 2014 to anything to be honest, and it isn't fair for me to compare it to my '95 cobra which has +/- 700rwhp and only 3400lbs.

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
Really loved my 2011 with VMP Pulley and Tune but the new 2014 GT-500 still blows it away in all categories as in total package. Last weekend I let a friend with a totally stock 2012 Shelby GT-500 drive mine for comparison. I was afraid I may be a little bias, but he was blown away and couldn't believe the difference. He is looking hard for a 2014 now.

I even get better gas mileage in the 2014 vs the 2011 (LOL).

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
My 08 GT500 had a VMP TVS with every possible bolt on I could do, the car put down 678whp and 688wtq, now my 08 had 3.31 gears but when I test drove my 13 GT500 it felt almost identical in power to my 08, so I didn't have a problem trading it in, now with the few bolt ons I have to my 13 I would walk my 08, no regrets on my purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread