difference between cars?

AdamD

Established Member
what are the differences between a Mustang gt hatchback and a regular mustang gt, the years from 1990 to 1993?

I am 15 and have a permit and have found a ton of these and am going to buy one. About the H.O. motor, does it come stock in only the hatchback and not the gt, or in both?

thx

adam

DJT03GT

Established Member
I believe they are the same, however there was also a notch back at one point, which had an actual trunk lid instead of a hatchback (one peice trunk and rear window).

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Mustang GT= hatchback with ground effects
Mustang 5.0 LX=hatchback without ground effects(ugly IMO)
Mustang 5.0 Coupe= Great looking, lightweight, only 3,0XXlbs.

I have a GT and love it. I like the way they look and everything. If I got another fox, it would be a coupe, but my GT was my first car so I have a special place for them.

AdamD

Established Member
thanks

i cant believe how effordab,le the car and performance parts are.

i found one i may buy for 8000 that has a vortech supercharger and full bassani exhaust system.

AdamD

Established Member
Mustang GT= hatchback with ground effects

Mustang 5.0 Coupe= Great looking, lightweight, only 3,0XXlbs.

whats the difference between these two?i dont want an lx,they are ugly(no pun intended to those who own lx's)

Mach one

Established Member
a coupe has a trunk lid and it sort of looks like a 1965-1968 coupe i don't if you are familar with those cars and a gt is a mustang with a 5.0 and is a hatchback. also i think i am not positive but the gts came with lower gears in the rearend cuz they were heavier cars

montanagrog

Established Member
Adam D, buy the 'Fox-Body Mustang Recognition Guide 1979-1993'. It will tell you differences and have pictures to refer to. It will also tell you differences like when they went to mass air, roller blocks, larger wheel opennings, etc. A little research will help you find the one that does what you want and looks like you want. This will eliminate the "I think they came with...", because there are alot of options avalible to all the different styles.

Check out book at www.t5design.com

A2V2NV

Established Member
The difference between a GT and the LX is simply ground effects, tailights, and interior, namely the seats. Don't forget in 1993 the COBRA returned, but good luck finding one in your price range!!

The coupe/notchback ('notch), is cool because it's light, but some people don't care for the looks much. I'd get an lx hatchback and go through cervinis and get the cobra ground effects, then it looks like a '93 cobra, which was the best looking fox 'stang ever
Then pick up some sweet rims and exhaust and the honeys will love it!!

joe

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
All 87-93 5.0 mustangs came with 2.73 gears except the 93' cobra. The cobras came with 3.08's.

Roller motors came into play in 85'.
Electronic Fuel Injection came in 86'.
Body style changed in 87'.
Mass air came in 88' in cali, then everywhere else in 89'.
In 90' Airbags came, different cluster and A/C controls, larger fenderwells since the cars had available 16" pony wheels.
Late 92', ford started using hypereutectic pistons.
93', specs changed, power and torque went down to 205hp/285tq from the previous 225hp/300tq.

As for the power change, some people think that ford just changed the way they rated power and it didn't actually change. Hard to prove because it's hard to find a low mileage 93' and a low mileage early 92' or older, and that are BONE STOCK to dyno.
I personally believe the reason for the decrease in power, if there was one was to help sell the 93' cobra which was only 235hp/285tq. Who would opt to spend the extra money if the other models were 225hp/300tq?

My suggestion, 89'. If not that then a 90 or 91. Good luck. I love my 87' GT, it was my first car, bought it bone stock except gutted cats and flowmasters with only 84,000 miles in 02', and I hope to have it for YEARS to come.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
I also love my square light fox....Would love to find a notch someday though and have both...WOOT!!!

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
90,000 miles is fine as long as it looks like it's been taken care of. 302's are some of the most dependable engines I've seen. The T-5 is another story though. I would avoid the auto tranny. Drains a LOT more power then the T-5, less gas mileage, and not as fun to drive.

I have 115,000 miles on my car. Runs just as good as it did at 86K when I bought it. Runs just as good as the two less than 20,000 mile(show cars) fox bodies that I've driven. Just check for leaks, especially around the oil pan. Also, check for coolant leaks. And do a coolant flush as soon as you get it. Try and get one that's as close to stock as possible that way you know that there hasn't been any southern ingenuity when it comes to modifying the car.

Users who are viewing this thread