Difference between driving in traffic in a 1998 Mercury Tracer compared to a 01 Cobra

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
So what is the difference between driving a 1998 mercury tracer with a kicked in front fender, rust, and 137k miles on it compared to a mint 2001 mustang cobra in traffic? Not what you think...

When driving the tracer, people will literally box me out and attempt to send my car into cones, trees, walls, etc. In the cobra, its a completely different story. Giant openings magically become available. People become friendly, they wave me into spots. Its a complete night and day difference.

I guess I never realized it before, but what a difference a car makes when you need to be let into a lane, ramp, etc. I think i need a better looking daily driver :lol:.

Anyone else notice this?!?! It's not like I drive any different between the two cars. I drive like a moron in both :p

Last edited:

big dad

Established Member
Nice cars = noticeable.
Crap cars = unnoticeable.

That's why I drive a clapped out 89 Sable wagon, I call her Marge. I feel I'm invisible when I'm in her.

I often think that people are thinking, look at that old guy in that piece of shit, not a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. If they only knew.

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
That's why I drive a clapped out 89 Sable wagon, I call her Marge. I feel I'm invisible when I'm in her.

I often think that people are thinking, look at that old guy in that piece of shit, not a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. If they only knew.
That's exactly why I supercharged my Buick. It's priceless to see someone's face after you walk them in an old shit box.

Kiohtee

Established Member
It's a night and day difference for me too!

'00 Civic and '98 Camaro

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
I've noticed it a little with courtesy from other drivers. More noticeable with the chicks though. I drive the same road every day to the gym but in the daily (2003 explorer) its always a quiet drive. Pull out the Cobra and at least once a week some college chick will start yelling and waving.

I'm just as ugly in the Cobra as I am the Explorer :shrug:

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
I've noticed it a little with courtesy from other drivers. More noticeable with the chicks though. I drive the same road every day to the gym but in the daily (2003 explorer) its always a quiet drive. Pull out the Cobra and at least once a week some college chick will start yelling and waving.

I'm just as ugly in the Cobra as I am the Explorer :shrug:
Gold diggers? It might be the same reason 3 different women ranted to me yesterday about how much they LOOOVE the ruby red color on my glorified Camry.

RSbeast

Established Member
I recently picked up an aveo off my sister on the cheap to commute in as my Escape was killing me on a 70 mile daily commute. It's the tiny 5 door one.

I'm fairly certain people are trying to kill me. I've had and driven all types of cars, even compacts like early DSMs and I've never seen people drive so angry around it. Constantly tailgated and shoved around. Its impossible to pass people as nobody wants to let you in, everyone speeds up as they don't want passed by the eco-friendly tiniest car on the road.

I never had an issue with the escape; was treated normal and I think that's a 'blend in' type of car. My mustang I agree people let me do whatever and are always nice for the most part. Kind of like a liscense to be a dick heh.

All I know is after 3 weeks in the Aveo I have started driving like an agressive asshole. If there's 10 feet I'm taking that spot and darting into the passing lane. I don't touch the brakes, carry far too much momentum and FLY up on people around curves. I brake check trucks, its bad. Its like if you don't command respect in it you will get shit on.

Oh and this is the first car I've ever owned that is openly made fun of by everyone. EVERYONE takes a shot at this thing. Been laughed at by people on the road too/funny looks.

Bigass built 240lb dude in well dressed office/formal attire will get you that lol.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
less tickets too, cops don't even pay attention to my truck now its awesome, hell no in cobra i was always followed

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Weird, in the Maxima nothing out of the ordinary just normal fair driving.

In my Cobra same in a way just at times I get people trying to race me in all different types of car's. Either that or they just wanna get away from because of my loud exhaust :lol1:

In my BMW im a dick to everyone all of a sudden :shrug:
I have people tailgating the crap out of me even at speed limit. Two times I had douchebags just cut in front of me with no signal, one of them did it driving below the highway speed limit. Had to slam on the brakes :nonono:

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
When I'm in the focus there is typically no minimum following distance and merging can get interesting at times though that isn't entirely atypical of this area. In the Z though it's different. Mostly because people wouldn't want to pay to fix it if they hit me.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I noticed the opposite in my SB Lightning vs my '82 F-100, people get out of the way of the '82 :D

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Back when I had my 330i and the sonic blue 03 I noticed. The BMW was ignored, much like you mentioned above. The cobra was not. I always had large gaps around me when I drove the 03 in, but I didn't attribute it to people being nice. That cobra was LOUD, so I always kind of figured that people were giving me space because they thought I could do something crazy/stupid at any second.

Driver500

Established Member
My daily is a Stock 4x4 Duramax. People never cut out in front of me and generally will yield the right of way if they deserve it or not.

I used to have a 91 E30 I used to commute in. It was perfect. Bright red to get people's attention and old enough for them not to know if I cared about denting a fender or not.

Driving the mustang is somewhere in the middle.

Baton Rouge traffic is more about offense than defense.

Users who are viewing this thread