difference between supercharger

BenV8

Established Member
hi guys, I make many searches on the forum and I have trouble to understand difference between all supercharger. When someone need a supercharger many people suggest centri like Paxton or Vortech. because He make less heated. But If you look car who come supercharger from the factory like shelby,cts-v,corvette etc... he come with a supercharger on the motor. If is less performing like centri why dealer do this modifications?

many thanks,

Ben

FIVEHOE

Established Member
cuz the factory detunes the car so that it'll run safe?

That's why factory turbo/superchargers pick up a ton from just an aftermarket tune.

KushBandit

Established Member
The blower that sits on top of an engine is commonly referred to as a Positive Displacement supercharger, that consists of either Twin Screws or Rotors. They produce more power than a Centrifugal supercharger.

Did you have the dealer install a Centrifugal supercharger or did you buy a car with it already installed?

cuz the factory detunes the car so that it'll run safe?

That's why factory turbo/superchargers pick up a ton from just an aftermarket tune.

I think he's asking the difference between supercharger types, not tuning.

Last edited:

BenV8

Established Member
The blower that sits on top of an engine is commonly referred to as a Positive Displacement supercharger, that consists of either Twin Screws or Rotors. They produce more power than a Centrifugal supercharger.

Did you have the dealer install a Centrifugal supercharger or did you buy a car with it already installed?

if this supercharger do more power, why most people go with centri like Paxton and Vortech?

Vert

Established Member
The centri's can be bought cheaper plus some like the sound with bov. For me, I went with the tvs route for the instant torque and the stock look.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member

I think he's asking the difference between supercharger types, not tuning.

Positive displacement/twin screws don't normally make more power than centri's at the same boost levels. They make more torque than them yes but also produce more heat.

Car companies use them because they are readily available and easier to setup than a centri blower would be and less piping for more of an OEM look.

Eng90

Established Member
How does the boost curve look like on a positive displacement sc ?

Is it constant at all rpm range ? Does it build up like the centri at any certain points on the rpm range ??

KushBandit

Established Member
Positive displacement/twin screws don't normally make more power than centri's at the same boost levels. They make more torque than them yes but also produce more heat.

As they say, "horsepower sells cars, torque wins races".

OEM use them because they're more reliable and produce more power. The heat soak they get is pretty terrible though. Just look at the new Z06.

Last edited:

KushBandit

Established Member
As they say, "horsepower sells cars, torque wins races".

Nobody that actually races says this.

"Door slammer" racers don't.

Let me ask you, why did you change your torque converter and gearing? Perhaps to help the torque leverage?

Anyway OP, I'm sure the Centrifugal supercharger will make more than enough power for you. You can always change the pulley to make more boost.

Last edited:

Freakingstang

Established Member
A centrifugal blower makes power or boost in a linear curve, so as the RPM increases, so does the boost. but usually as it makes peak HP, it is time to shift. You don't get to use most of the peak HP.

Twin screws and Roots blowers are positive displacement. That means for every revolution, it discharges X amount of air. At a higher rpm it is X amount of air, just faster. So that means boost is instantaneous, they produce their full boost by 2000 rpm and will hold that until redline. This is why they make a ton of torque and carry it through the rpm range. the felt tq is used the whole rpm range. the hp is what keeps that power going. the higher you spin them, the hotter the discharge temps will get so cooling the discharge air is a must.

I used to be a huge fan of centri blowers, but not after having a couple PD blowers. TQ is instant and much more fun. they just aren't as cheap as a centri blower because most setups that aren't just swapping OEM blowers, involve inter cooling. Most Cenri setups that are cheaper won't have some kind of intercooler, but they also highly benefit from cooling.

BenV8

Established Member
okay, so a twin screws is reliable, make a good horse power, expensive and make more heat. a centri is it reliable same a twin screws? and is it performing same horse power a twin screws?

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Centries are cheap HP for stick cars... Autos need a $1000 converter, & torque booster on a stock block. Will make 900whp with built short block.

Roush/VMP is more expensive, but has better OEM quality and make more torque per HP. Can use stock convertor. Good to around 800whp on built shortblock

Turbo's are a lot more expensive, but will make 1000+ whp on built shortblock. Needs a $1000 converter, transbrake, & auto transmission upgrades.

That pretty much raps it up!

Also, I have a Roush TVS pushing 14+ psi and I don't notice any heat that everyone talks about. I think that's older TVS issues

hand-filer

Established Member
No heat soak issues here but I don't do a lot of stop and go driving. After years of owning and building high powered (it's all relative) light weight Harleys I decided TVS was the only way to go for a street car. I like things that make power RFN.

BenV8

Established Member
I started this thread because You know like me supercharges is expensive and I would like to choose the good one for me. I have a 2014 GT A6 with off road Xpipe,Dynomax axles back, Airaid CAI race and a custom tune. I have drags radial to go on the track too. it's a daily drive and I go on the track 3-4 times per years. So for bang of my buck you suggest Centri or what? Roush? tell me ?

hand-filer

Established Member
You're going to get a thousand different answers to your question which has been asked about a thousand times on this forum.
I would do a search and sift through some of the existing threads where the same question has been asked before.
There is no simple answer.

BenV8

Established Member
ah okay I understand....I will continue my searches on the forum.....sorry about that, I don't want to begin a another thread who have a lot of answers.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread