Difference in handleing between springs and coil-over?

J15BIG

Established Member
Im thinking of getting a coil over setup from MM. But I was wondering just how much better a coil over setup is then springs and shocks? What are the advantages over springs besides the adjustability?

Thanks.

J15BIG

Established Member
after reading through some threads over at corner-carvers.com i think im goin to go with a spring and shock combo. probably h&r race springs with 00R spec shocks/struts.

ModsAway

Established Member
If I were you I would go with the coil overs since you are already buying the expensive portion of the coil over setup (spring/shocks).

With the coil-overs you can choose your spring rate EXACTLY... other then that though im sorry I cannot give you more 'tech' reasons but I'm sure the experts will chime in for you.

I know coil overs are in my future... probably chip/pulley first though.

BenD

Established Member
Coil Overs if you plan to Road Race

Other than that I see it as a needless expense that could best be directed elsewhere.

The advantages for Racing are, as someone already mentioned, adjustability for one, but more importantly is the fact they cut down on unsprung weight. That equates to overall weight reduction of the car and changing springs is much easier if you find you need stronger springs at some later date.

Also if you decide to add a K-Member at a later date then a coil over system is a definite advantage.

Sleeve adjustment for ride height and handling is somewhat time consuming. However, to really know if you have it at optimum it requires trial and error adjustment. This can only be optimally achieved on a Race Course where you can make adjustments as needed.

You would be better advised to buy a stiffer OEM type spring setup with a matching shock. MM offers them, Steeda, and Kenny Brown.

I have a complete Koni Coil Over system, My car is modified for Road Racing only. I don't drive it on the street.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I can't speak for this car, but my 98 Cobra went from Eibach springs to Griggs GR40 C/o's including the tubular K member, control arms, and Koni D/a's. I can say that after spending upward of $2600 on this setup, my Cobra indeed handled better BUT not $2600 better. It cornered tighter and adjustability is a nice thought, but how many times are you going to adjust ride height? And when you do plan on getting an alignment. Plus when you adjust ride height you need a lift to do so, or you are going to be spending quite some time circling around with a jack till everything is same height. If you aren' going to road race, and aren't going to spend the money for sub frames and accompanying hardware, I don't see a point. That's why i went with HR SS and called it a day on this one. Keep in mind C/O's are noisier too and I had many noises I could not hunt down that drove me nuts. Hope this helps in your decision.

Cobra-R

Established Member
I would say on a street driven car that one of the main benefits of a coilover system is being able to run higher spring rates while maintaining ride quality.

Shelbyguy makes a great point though, learn to drive if handling is your major motivation.

Brian

jimwood

Established Member
It depends on what you are doing. If your only going to slap on a pair of coil overs, I think its going to be a PIA, and not worth it. In order to optimize a coil over set up you need to do everything $$$. If you are serious about road racing than Coil Overs are a good idea to compliment the entire set up.

I would also add if you are going to be driving around the street and rarely see a road track, forget about the Coil Over set up. There is absolutely nothing challenging on the highways, that the set up in your car cant handle.

When your on the track you are really not concentrating on small rattles.

The GR-40 set-up is unbelievable on the track. Nothing short of it. That has coil overs, but its a small part of the set up.:beer:

Last edited:

cobra-info

Established Member
Im' with jim on this one.. Fortunately I came from the rice crowd COIL OVER JUNKIE... I spent alot of money on fully adjustible dampners, camber plates, coil overs themselves and found that It was just overkill for my daily driving. jmo though

Users who are viewing this thread