DIfference of 03 Bilstein Struts/Shocks vs. the ones made for 99&01 Cobra

rboscht

Established Member
I was just on fordpartsnetwork.com and I noticed that they are selling the 03 Bilstein shocks/struts as an entire kit (2 struts and 2 shocks) for only $199. Are the ones on the 03 as good as the ones that Bilstein makes for the 99&01..reason I ask is because just one Bilstein front strut for the 99&01 costs almost as much as the whole 03 kit. Anyone know why? Thanks.:rolling:

MineralGSVT

Established Member
I have the '03 Bilsteins on my '01 and I bought them from FordPartsNetwork.

Back when they first came out, myself and a couple other guys on Stangnet had a lot of conversation about this topic. One of the guys talked with Bilstein and supposedly they are the same as the aftermarket strut (not the ones for the '00 R). I am not 100% certain, but for $199, I was willing to take the risk.

All I know is that the '03 Bilsteins are much better than the factory '01 struts and shocks, and therefore I am very happy. I had the car out for an open track event this weekend and wow! what a difference.

Good Luck!

rboscht

Established Member
MineralGSVT

Glad to hear that there was a big difference after the install. I think I am going to take that risk as well...you cant beat $199 for an entire Bilstein kit. I'm also ordering a set of Eibach Pro-Kit Springs and a PHP IRS Brace w/Steeda Bushings. Hopefully I can eliminate the hop. I don't have too much wheel hop launching at the track(basically cause I ride the clutch untill everything grips) but on my 1st to 2nd shift....ALL HELL BREAKS LOSE!!!!!! The rear just goes from left to right for about 1/2 second and then straigtens up. My best time so far is a 13.5@106
2.3 60 ft.

I'm not exactly sure how many tenths I should pick up after the shocks, springs and IRS Brace. But if you have taken yours down to the track after any of those mods..Could you give a little insight of how many tenths I can expect to pick up? Thanks.

MineralGSVT

Established Member
Well.. I haven't had it down the 1/4 mile, but I do crank on it once in a while on the street. The new springs/shocks will definitely help since they are stiffer.

Users who are viewing this thread