Differences between '01 and '02 Cobras?

OzLightning

Established Member
A question for my fellow SVT brethren...

I've got the opportunity to purchase either an '01 or '02 Cobra both from the same Ford dealer, neither car with anymore than the delivery miles on it. The major difference for me of course being price ($5000 before negiotiation) between them. And before anyone asks why I don't just buy on '03, it's simple they are N/A here till who knows when (don't worry I'll trade when the time comes).

My main question here is are there any significant updates in the '02 model that would make it worth the $$ difference?

I'm looking forward to increasing my SVT stable to 2, the Cobra should look good parked next to the Lightning:thumbsup:

Thanx,

Andrew

933-1603-16831-thumb.jpg

933-1603-16820-thumb.jpg
933-1603-16826-thumb.jpg
The Beast of Oz Gallery

PAJ

I know for a fact that there were no '02 Cobras produced, just as there were no 2000 Cobras sold in the US, other than the Rs. Check out the Ford SVT site if you want more info.

You might want to check the production date on the door tag. It's probably a late '01 MY car.

Just wondering, is it being advertised by the dealership as an '02, or was it the salesman that told you that? :shrug:

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
If you look at his tag he's an Aussie.. So they may have had a 02' Cobra.. They have a bunch of odd year cars over there.. They also have some great looking cars too..

Leftywayn

Established Member
Suposedly there were left over '99 Cobras that were converted to right hand drive, shipped to Australia and sold as 2000's. Ford has possibly shipped o some 2001's and is selling them as 2002's.

As far as which one to buy...power should be the same, so whichever one was produced the latest. Hopefully has all the kinks worked out, and has the upgraded seats,6 disk changer, and rims. 5 grand seems a big margin though.

Good luck with your choice, you will love your Cobra.

OzLightning

Established Member
O.K. thanks guys I think I know what's going on here. The so called '02 must be a late '01 production vehicle that only hit the dealership in early '02. Suddenly it makes complete sense that I've found no parts listed for an '02 anywhere, let alone no reference anywhere I searched! So armed with that info there's no way this hombre's paying extra for what is actually a '01!:thumbsup:

PAJ

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that.

I wonder if someone could get SVT to post the international numbers somewhere on their site. It would be interesting.

Leftywayn

Established Member
Oz, Are there any visual differences between the '01 and the so called '02??

I can't believe they want more money for what should be identical cars. You can tell the seller that you're on to his shennanigans.

There must be some other particulars here that I'm not aware of. If they look the same, and both have minimal miles on them, then it's a no brainer. Go with the '01.

Shane

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
There is a Europeen 00' Cobra non R... I don't put anything past Ford... If you can check the build date of the car and put it on the board.. I am really interested now.. I can so see them building a 02' Cobra and sending them overseas.. If the cars didn't have the wheel on the wrong side I would look at importing the new GT.. That car looks sweet..

OzLightning

Established Member
Well folks, the deal is done... Leftywayn you were 100% correct my friend! The car complied here in '02 is in fact a late '01 production vehicle. So I've opted to purchase the True Blue '01 with parchment interior. I've got to wait till around the 14th for delivery though as it's gotta be shipped up here from Ford. In the meantime I'll be on the bolt-on trail... thinking some Hooker headers, Diablo chip, BBK intake kit and what ever else is worthwhile.

:beer:

Leftywayn

Established Member
Hey Oz, glad to hear it's on it's way. What color? Convertible or Coupe?

The modding list is unending, I have very few, but the Pro50 shifter greatly improves shift feeling, very positive.

I'm now waiting for my Magnaflow catback.

OzLightning

Established Member
It's a True Blue convertible.

Leftywayn, I've got the Pro 5.0 down as one of my first mods too. I Also just wrote a post asking for opinions on the first mods that I have in mind.:burnout:

Leftywayn

Established Member
Great color Oz. They discontinued it for the '03.

I found one but is had the beige interior, so I got the the triple black instead.

PAJ

Congrats! Don't forget to post pics as soon as you can. I'd love to see it.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread