Differences in the FRP axelbacks?

talonderiel

Established Member
So I am having trouble distinguishing between which Axelback to get from Ford Racing. I know, after an exhaustive search on youtube and forums, that I'm going with a Kooks (headers, o/r h-pipe), LP Gen2 OTAs, and GT500 sounding setup.... But I am not sure what the differences between the Sport, Touring and GT500 axlebacks are. Can anyone clarify?

Here is a picture from the LP axleback selection for FR. AM doesn't list them by part #, but the price differences are about the same. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

LP axlebacks.PNG

nyuk98GT

Established Member
talonderiel,

FRP mufflers are manufactured by Borla so they have a similar but not same sound as Borla. Touring mufflers are (usually) chambered so they are quieter and (imho) deeper than the sport mufflers which are straight-through. The FRP "5.0L Mustang 50 State Muffler Kit" looks like the GT500 muffler (i.e.--the stock muffler for a GT500) which many people like on the GT, especially if the resonators and cats are removed from the upstream piping. Straight-through mufflers tend to be a little more raspy and poppy than chambered mufflers. OTOH, straight-through mufflers generate less pressure drop ('backpressure' as most people describe it) so you may get a few more ponies, especially if the engine has a blower or turbo.

I had GT500's (M-5230-MGTCA1) on my car (as delivered) and now have FRPP GT500 Touring mufflers (M-5230-MSVTCA). I like the the GT500 Touring mufflers a lot. They are a bit louder than the GT500's but definitely quieter than the Borla S-types I had for a little while, the tips are MUCH nicer, and they produce that classic musclecar sound without any drone. They don't seem to be a popular muffler, lol.

Your proposed combination is going to sound really good, imo.

HTH,

Chris

TxS197

Established Member
I have the The Frpp Sports on my 14 GTCS
With Kooks LT 1 7/8 with Catted H-Pipe and stock Resonator's
Car sounds good I thought they would be Similar to the Borla S type but they're quieter
Compared to my buddies boss 302 with the same setup except for the borla's
But I'm pleased with the setup.
Still sounds good

talonderiel

Established Member
talonderiel,

FRP mufflers are manufactured by Borla so they have a similar but not same sound as Borla. Touring mufflers are (usually) chambered so they are quieter and (imho) deeper than the sport mufflers which are straight-through. The FRP "5.0L Mustang 50 State Muffler Kit" looks like the GT500 muffler (i.e.--the stock muffler for a GT500) which many people like on the GT, especially if the resonators and cats are removed from the upstream piping. Straight-through mufflers tend to be a little more raspy and poppy than chambered mufflers. OTOH, straight-through mufflers generate less pressure drop ('backpressure' as most people describe it) so you may get a few more ponies, especially if the engine has a blower or turbo.

I had GT500's (M-5230-MGTCA1) on my car (as delivered) and now have FRPP GT500 Touring mufflers (M-5230-MSVTCA). I like the the GT500 Touring mufflers a lot. They are a bit louder than the GT500's but definitely quieter than the Borla S-types I had for a little while, the tips are MUCH nicer, and they produce that classic musclecar sound without any drone. They don't seem to be a popular muffler, lol.

Your proposed combination is going to sound really good, imo.

HTH,

Chris

Thank you for the clarification, Chris. I'm shooting for the classic muscle car sound. I think the 2012 GT is too quiet in the stock form. She's stronger than my 1993 was, but the sound is nowhere near what I had with LT, O/R H-pipe and Dumps :D

I have the The Frpp Sports on my 14 GTCS
With Kooks LT 1 7/8 with Catted H-Pipe and stock Resonator's
Car sounds good I thought they would be Similar to the Borla S type but they're quieter
Compared to my buddies boss 302 with the same setup except for the borla's
But I'm pleased with the setup.
Still sounds good

Thank you for your help, TxS197!

Users who are viewing this thread