Differentail leak 3yrs later...

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Well i just pulled the Cobra out of storage for the winter :)pepper:) but after i pulled it out i noticed a small 3inch puddle of differential fluid after sitting for 5 months. Now i have the BF diff brace,but would i have any luck getting it fixed at a dealer for free because of the service bulletin or am i screwed because i no longer have any warranty? Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed this late in the game?

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
ASHLEY aka ~ LargeOrangeFont,

Ever find out where our drivetrain clunk is coming from. Rear end gears or transmission... ? Just curious if you found the culprit yet. ;-)

cobracory

Established Member
What service bulletin is there?

I've had this problem for the past 3 or 4 years.
A puddle under the car when I go to take it out in the Spring and each Spring the dealership "fixes" it under warranty.

I wasn't aware of a TSB. Can someone provide me with the #?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you guys reseal the diff when the brace was installed? This solves the leak issue for most people but it's not unheard of for it to come back sometimes. If you install the brace but don't reseal, it's likely the gasket seal has already been compromised/broken from all of the force being placed on the cover even though it may not actually be leaking at the time.

cobracory

Established Member
You might want to keep an eye on it. A quick spray with brake cleaner and everyone is happy, for now. Do you have an extended warranty?

Yah, I've already put down new cardboard under the car to see if anything starts leaking again.

Yes, I have extended warranty. Used it a few times. :)

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Well i just pulled the Cobra out of storage for the winter :)pepper:) but after i pulled it out i noticed a small 3inch puddle of differential fluid after sitting for 5 months. Now i have the BF diff brace,but would i have any luck getting it fixed at a dealer for free because of the service bulletin or am i screwed because i no longer have any warranty? Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed this late in the game?

The dealer goes by the book so once they see that the book says 5hrs they will charge you from 80-120 a hr along with there 75-120 dollar diagnoses. I have a warranty when I bought my car and they wanted to charge my warranty 800+, I ended up do n it myself that way I know it will be done right the first time.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
consider the obvious fact that the plug is above the fill level (unless overfilled somehow)

that means it's only getting splashed with lube, so I doubt it was leaking there

how bad was the leak?

Last edited:

cobracory

Established Member
consider the obvious fact that the plug is above the fill level (unless overfilled somehow)

that means it's only getting splashed with lube, so I doubt it was leaking there

how bad was the leak?

Pretty bad actually.
The cardboard was saturated and it started leaking down... I think even past the rear tire. Enough that it was noticeable.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'll bet they did not want to or know how to fix it right and whacked the aftermarket warranty company for repair when all they did was clean it.

One of my guys would get fired for that crap!

If it was a Ford ESP warranty it still counts against the Ford warranty group average. So they will try to put off billing Ford for expensive repairs if they just did some recent claims in that category that put them high in group.

Seriously, I'll bet they tightened the cover bolts and cleaned it with brake clean.:nonono:

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I'm just going to try and fix it myself. Not even going to waste my time with ford. They will just give me some crap about the diff. brace and my 315 street tires and tell me to screw anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread