Differential chatter after switch to AMSOIL

gqneon

Established Member
I switched over tonight to AMSOIL 75W-140 severe gear. Slow rolled it to a parking lot and did some slow circles and turns. When the clutch is engaged and the rear is under load (light load) no noise. When I put in the clutch, during a turn, I can hear repetitive clunking back there, guessing that's chatter. Worried me so I babied it home and double checked levels to be correct. Drained a little and added 4 ounces of Ford differential friction modifier and did the same test. Same noise. So I think one of two things needs to happen:
1. Switch to AMSOIL 75W-85 severe gear (maybe the 140 is too much for this torsen limited slip rear end) and Ford additive, if still clunking.
2. Back to factory Ford gear lube with 4 ounces of additive.

I made a video but haven't uploaded it yet, but made no changes other than fluid change and these noises appeared.

It sounds like chatter to me, but if this is normal or part of break in, please let me know. No noise with clutch pedal let out, just when I push the clutch in, and even if I take it out of gear and let clutch up, same thing (during turns).

I'll take any ideas or thoughts you have about this. Let me know what you think before I dump this new AMSOIL

Last edited:

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Op I just looked up 2015 mustang on AMSOIL and both style diffs call for 75w-90. http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-90/?code=SVGQT-EA

Did you add the 75W-140 because that's what the 2011-2014 cars took? Because the 14-15 uses a different diff.

My car has a torsen and I have never heard any noise out of it. The video you posted sounds like damage is being done. When you drain the 75w-140 check for metal.....

Last edited:

gqneon

Established Member
I switched to AMSOIL 75W-90 severe gear and tried it without and then with 4 ounces of Ford friction modifier, pretty much the same results, maybe a little quieter. I never tried this test before I swapped fluids so maybe it makes noise on the PP cars from the factory and I never knew it? Can anyone try it and confirm? The only other possibility is that I somehow damaged the ring and pinion set without it making any noise or any other symptoms?

It also seems to be mostly present at very low speed, mostly audible below 5-10 mph. Again, doesn't seem like that would be normal and hard to believe it would be from gear lube with the same base number without being driven other than slowly in a parking lot right next to my house.

Also, drain plug before and after every stage had no metal, but when I initially pulled it out it was gunked up some with dark grease that I wiped off the plug before reinstalling. Maybe there was a problem with the rear end and this is just how I discovered it?

Last edited:

gqneon

Established Member
https://youtu.be/SIgvRUUEM20

Here's a link to a video showing similar symptoms with 75W-90 AMSOIL severe gear and Ford Friction Modifier. I'm thinking it was something that happened to the differential or carrier and I just hadn't ever noticed until I started checking to make sure the new lube was going to work fine. Like was said, there's no clutches in it, it's metal, and I didn't do anything with it other than swap to lube that frankly both should have worked with. The interesting thing is my local ford dealer didn't even HAVE any 75W-85 Premium, all they had was 75-90. Guess I'm on the hunt to find that. I'm guessing that the rear end might even be under warranty at 2600 miles, I'm just wondering when whatever happened to it happened, because I don't remember it having any drivability issues. In fact it still doesn't technically, I just honed in on the noise last night.

I got under it and checked to see if anything obvious was broken or looked odd, but didn't see anything. Half shafts appear fine, solid, although they have just a hair of play side to side (I can move them maybe a mm from differential to hub side to side if I try).

Any other ideas guys? I'm guessing no one has had these issues yet, and I haven't done anything to or with this car yet that it wasn't made to do.

gqneon

Established Member
Update, it's going into the dealer tomorrow morning to get "looked at.". Not optimistic. I checked and they didn't have a 15 GT with PP to take around the parking lot to see of the noise is there's when it's stock or not. Since my blower stuff is all be ready to go in tomorrow, figures the downtime would come when it did lol.

I'm guessing the rear end will be a lot easier to warranty if I DON'T show up for service with a D1 sitting under the hood though, so patience is probably worth every penny in this case. Glad the problem surfaced before I got under boost.

Will update if somethings broke and hopefully send up some pictures too if so.

gqneon

Established Member
**Update** - I went to drop it off at the dealer at 0730, as directed, and the service manager told me to just leave the keys and they'd try to look at it today or tomorrow... and rental contract I got with the car doesn't start until day AFTER diagnostic IF considered warrant-able, so I was sort of hosed. I asked the guy if he would keep my ticket open and let me check back throughout the day since I still needed transportation and see when would be a closer time to drop it off (trying to be reasonable). I called after lunch (on Wednesday mind you, my appointment day) and he said even if it was sitting in the service lot they might not even look at it until Monday afternoon now...

So I would have been out of a car and paying for a rental for 6 days before they even pulled it in? I hope this is not typical of Ford service, especially on a brand new car under warranty, since I'm new to the brand.

I intend to keep calling back daily in case something changes, but he said the 15 tickets that were ahead of me when I showed up for my appointment at 0730 hadn't changed and no new cars had made it to techs by after lunch time. Must be 15 REALLY complex issues down there, but that's just me going down a pissed off rant rabbit-hole so I'll stop.

Will update when news arises, and hoping this won't always be the case if something goes wrong.

Anthony K

Established Member
You need to find a better dealership.

Too late, but it's best to see what kinda relationship your salesman has with the service manager. My vehicles never sit on a lot. They are looked at with in hours and sometimes I drive the vehicles to the service bay and talk to the tech. When my truck did have to stay overnight, due to parts delivery issues, it was too late to get a loaner from the dealer, all gone. The salesman have me the keys to his brand new 50mile f150 fx4, he took a demo

I feel bad for people that deal with crappy dealers

gqneon

Established Member
Yeah, I agree. Went close to home and my salesman had just started that month, so he is brand new. Talked to him and he was no help at all, even if he is a nice guy.

When I asked the service manager about what I was supposed to do for a rental until they "could get around to me" he just stared at me.

That service manager's name is Roland at Autonation Ford of Frisco, which is where I bought my car.

Lesson learned.

Man I'm itching to get this blower bolted on but they keep pushing back indefinitely. I might just bolt it up and let it go pop if that's what it's destined to do anyway. So aggravating.

Users who are viewing this thread