Differential weight?

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
What is this IRS differential weight I have heard about? Where is it and how do I remove it? How much does it weigh? Thanks.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
It's located on the bottom of the rear differential and is attached with two bolts. Takes about 90 seconds to take it off and weighs right at 8 lbs. Designed to prevent vibration, but I know of 20 guys that have taken it off with no ill effects........

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
RJM03Cobra said:
Can I put an 8.8 detroit locker in this rear?

The Detroit Locker "Tru Trac" is a nice piece... it is a helical gear type torque sensing slip limiter differential...

The old school gear type Detroit Locker however .... I doubt you would enjoy driving on the street...

CLANK!!! BOOM!!! BANG!!!

They sound like the rear end is coming out if you so much as touch the gas!!!

The new tru trac on the other hand is ....SMOOOOOOOOTH!!! :bowdown:

Everyone I have talked to that got one(mostly road racer/open track guys)...freaking loves it!!!

It is way smoother than even the stocker was!!!

I want one!!! :cryying: :cryying: :cryying:

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
detroit locker

I called to order a detroit locker tru trac and they said it probably would not hold up for regular weekly drag racing they (summit)advised the regular detroit locker, clutch type for over 600 torque, said the new ones arent loud like the older models- hope so -I got one, will let everyone know in a few weeks when its in.

393Bird

Seniors Gone Wild
Established Member
I have one of the newer Detroit Lockers in my Tbird that uses the same IRS center section as the Cobras. I guess my exhaust is a little loud, since I do not hear all those noises from it. It is NOT the best choice for a daily driver though since under any thing more than slight pressing of the gas will engage the lockng device and make both wheels turn the exact same. This is great going straight, but making a turn from a stop, and get a little carried away, and you WILL do a 360. They are stronger than everything but a spool, but do take care turning under power and driving on wet roads.
The Detroit Locker will allow normal differential action in turns under light gas pedal action. Mine is a weekend play car, so works out fine.

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback and by the way nice T-bird!!! Whats your ETs like?

They say the new detroit locker is not as noisy as the older models and my mechanic says noisy often means "strong" which is what I am looking for with 607 ft lbs torque and a Ken Belle in the near future!

393Bird

Seniors Gone Wild
Established Member
RJM03Cobra said:
Thanks for the feedback and by the way nice T-bird!!! Whats your ETs like?

They say the new detroit locker is not as noisy as the older models and my mechanic says noisy often means "strong" which is what I am looking for with 607 ft lbs torque and a Ken Belle in the near future!

Thanks. I only got 1 run in this past Fall on one of the local 1/8th mile tracks, and turned 7.30 @ 93 mph. I am doing a bunch of needed work on it now, including sub frame connectors and a roll bar. Looking forward to Spring.

HIGHOCTANE

Speed Junkie
Established Member
Just FYI they lock under anything more that moderate decel also. But they are tough!!! Tru-Tracs are nice and will hold up to some punishment but I have seen them destroyed. I have never seen anyone break a Detroit Locker, something else always broke first, usually an axle. :beer:

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
HIGHOCTANE said:
Just FYI they lock under anything more that moderate decel also. But they are tough!!! Tru-Tracs are nice and will hold up to some punishment but I have seen them destroyed. I have never seen anyone break a Detroit Locker, something else always broke first, usually an axle. :beer:

Thanks I guess I made the right choice then, will let you know, I dont think I will break my DSS level 5 axles, so hopefully it all holds up especially stock driveshaft.

Users who are viewing this thread