Differentials?

slick4_6

Established Member
I was originally wanting to go to an eaton differential when I regeared but now I am hearing good things about Torsen. Anyone got any experiences to share? I know you can beef up the trac-loc but it will still have clutches to wear, that is why I thought the Torsen sounded like it would do good. Is the eaton still liveable if you like to turn some too?

Charles236

Established Member
I don't have any experience with the Eaton, but I am using a Detroit Truetrac. It works on the same principle as the Torsen, and it has worked great for my useage. It is supposedly a bit stronger than the Torsen, and it seems to be less expensive than the Torsen. I have been pretty hard on mine so far, and the operation is still flawless after about 10,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

slick4_6

Established Member
No one else is running an aftermarket differential? I wouldn't have asked the question if I could have found a good answer from searching.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I have an auburn LSD in my '99 and the race car I just picked up has one as well. Its a great diff for turning corners and puts the power down very evenly and smoothly. I'd put it up against any diff on the market. I've heard everyone talking about how great the T2R is but thus far Ive had no reason to spend the money to change. I think it would be a pointless mod that gained me very little if anything over the Auburn. Also one of Auburns marketing ads claimed that their diff put more power to the ground over all others. In this day and age of lawsuits over false advertising, I figured Auburn probably had their facts straight or they wouldnt have published that ad. Just something to think about. Hope this helps.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Low cost, good alternative are the 03-04 Cobra diffs which seem to doing pretty well. (ZERO stories of them blowing up with massive HP)

Part # 2L2Z-4026-AA

They are 31 spline, and they are what come standard on all 05-07 GT's.

●31 spline
●Fits all 8.8" differentials
●Original equipment on 2003-2004 Cobra
●Features plate-type clutches
●Will accept anti-lock exciter ring
●Has carbon fiber clutch plates for increased durability
●Requires 4-ounces of CM-19546-A1 friction modifier with initial fill

Ken

slick4_6

Established Member
I forgot to add that when all was installed there would also be a new set of 03 half-shafts. So I have to upgrade to a 31 spline. Maybe I should add that this will deffinantly see some drag strip abuse and with some turning thrown in too. I originally thought I wanted an Eaton but a Torsen type might be more what I need. I dont want a diff that will have to be gone back in to fix later on, like the stock one.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
For a cheaper alternative to the torsen t2-r, consider the tru-trac. its a worm gear-type unit, without the torque bias clutches of a t2r (yes, there's a clutch pack in a torsen t2r). I would be reluctant to bolt on the sticky tires and do 5000rpm launches with a t2r. They're definately the hot setup for road course usage, though.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
For a cheaper alternative to the torsen t2-r, consider the tru-trac. its a worm gear-type unit, without the torque bias clutches of a t2r (yes, there's a clutch pack in a torsen t2r). I would be reluctant to bolt on the sticky tires and do 5000rpm launches with a t2r. They're definately the hot setup for road course usage, though.
ShelbyGuy,

Scenario...
If I am cruising on the freeway and push the clutch in, drop gears and then pop the clutch and slam the pedal to the floor would I be shocking the T2R a little too much or can it withstand that? That's the limit of my "abuse" on this car and my current stock setup seems to held fine. However I am looking to do a couple track events and I recently ordered as you know the expensive Differential cooling kit and a Torsen T2R. Does the T2R like more smooth transitional shifts rather then shifts like I described? I guess I can just transition into those lower gears a little less abrasive if indeed it is walking a thin line with the Torsen T2R.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
The T2R would be the best street diff if you dont launch on slicks. No slicks, no problem. Otherwise get a Auburn. Ford Trac-Lok diffs dont last.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
JSpeed said:
The T2R would be the best street diff if you dont launch on slicks. No slicks, no problem. Otherwise get a Auburn. Ford Trac-Lok diffs dont last.
Even with the power level I have on my 04? I don't drag the car at all, but I will do open track events and spirited weekend/night street driving.

My main concern is what I listed about with the freeway hit. Can the T2R take that at my power level? If not I will just change how I hit it on the freeway and transition smoother on the throttle. I run KDW2's/Nitto 555DRs on the street and KDW2's on all 4 on the track. No clutch high rpm dumps unless what I described would be considered such.

Last edited:

slick4_6

Established Member
Is there anything wrong with the Eaton? At one time they were the hot ticket. Are these new diffs. just that much better or do they just get the power to the ground smoother when you are turning?

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
slick4_6 said:
Is there anything wrong with the Eaton? At one time they were the hot ticket. Are these new diffs. just that much better or do they just get the power to the ground smoother when you are turning?
From what I gather that's exactly what the Torsen T2R does.

-Better traction through the turns according to those who have used them. My question is it seems like they are stronger then the stock setup, but more geared toward the open track and durability on long sessions. The stock setup seems to be a mix of drag/open track/street with many more compromises. It sounds like it's not really STRONG on the open track or drags, but it performs well. The Torsen T2R above all sounds like a unit that is better then the stock setup and should handle what I throw at it a little better then the stock diff.

Last edited:

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
I'd get a Ford 31-spline traction-lock. They are proven and cheap to rebuild and they hold up to rev limiter launches on slicks for quite a while.

Ellik

Established Member
I had a Torson differential on my Firebird. It was a great unit, I liked the way it handled and put power to the ground.... much better than the stock unit in the my Cobra. But like has been mentioned, I wouldnt trust it at high power levels though.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
viperbluelx said:
I'd get a Ford 31-spline traction-lock. They are proven and cheap to rebuild and they hold up to rev limiter launches on slicks for quite a while.

I've seen the same results with plenty of my customers.

Users who are viewing this thread