differnce between the lightning 5.4 and a regular 5.4??

gmcsierragt

Established Member
I was wondering what the differnce between a regular 5.4 and a lightning 5.4 is? so if anyone could help me on that, that would be great.

Basically I have a 99 L that apparently has a stripped head bolt, wont thread into the block at all, just spins by hand. Now it doesnt over heat at all, but when in gear under light acceleration you can hear blow by(sounds like ticking) It is definately NOT a plug about to eject, already checked thoroughly. Aside from the blow by Im also losing a good amount of power. So Im thinking I need a short block but don't wanna spend to much, wondering if I can swap out a regular junk yard 5.4 block. unless anyone has a decent one rebuilt or not for sale for reasonable money.

Anyways, some info and or suggestions are welcome, thanks

4a7191a

Established Member
Crank, pistons . Think we share the same crappy rods. If you do a junk yard motor . Do gt500 rods and pistons if in a bind for cash. Use the lightings crank and it should be safe to 700 to 800 HP. I'd recommend using forged parts though. It won't cost much more.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Block,heads,and rods are the same for both regular and SVT Lightning engines. The pistons and crank are forged units in the Lightnings plus the compresion ratio is dropped due to being S/C at 8.5 over 1. I think the regular 5.4L is 9.75 over 1. You could also track down any Navigator 01-07? or Blackwood and use their block also. Just have to ditch the DOHC heads and put on the truck SOHC units.

gmcsierragt

Established Member
is there a fix for the stripped head bolt? can a machice shop put a heli coil in a block for a head bolt?

JimIII@jdm

A standard F-150 has higer compression pistons and a cast crank as mentioned above. The Lightning engine has a low compression piston and forged crank so you would rather keep a Lightning engine in the truck.

Check out this special we have together on the Forged Ford Racing 5.4L shortblock, comes with new gaskets, bolts, and oil pump! http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...acing-5-4l-forged-shortblocks-sc-special.html

gmcsierragt

Established Member
that is a good deal but Im already into this truck for more then its worth

A standard F-150 has higer compression pistons and a cast crank as mentioned above. The Lightning engine has a low compression piston and forged crank so you would rather keep a Lightning engine in the truck.

Check out this special we have together on the Forged Ford Racing 5.4L shortblock, comes with new gaskets, bolts, and oil pump! http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...acing-5-4l-forged-shortblocks-sc-special.html

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
There are guys with N/A vehicles with stock style internals and crank that SC their vehicles. Just know to keep the boost low( make more power with less boost due to the comp ratio) and get a tune with whatever mods you have.

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
that is a good deal but Im already into this truck for more then its worth

Welcome to the world of Lightnings or any other performance car, pretty much we are all into them for more than they are actually worth.

There is a peace of mind that comes with fixing something the right way and the satisfaction of ownership.

If you really can't afford to put one of the new short blocks in, you are already behind the curve. If you can do your own wrenching, that would save a ton. If not the R&R, parts, basic necessary machine work, plus the cost of the used engine is going to be as much or more.

I know it looks cheaper on the surface, in the end you still will have to lay out a large chunk of change. This is from personal experience BTW not hypothetical.

Good luck with your choice, I really hope it works out because there are fewer and fewer Lightnings on the road every day.

Sorry for the rant.... my kids say I spend way too much time on the soap box :-D

gmcsierragt

Established Member
Oh I can afford it, Im just looking for the cheapest way possible because I just wanna cut my losses on my 99 L cause I just bought a 03 L with only 66k to replace it

Welcome to the world of Lightnings or any other performance car, pretty much we are all into them for more than they are actually worth.

There is a peace of mind that comes with fixing something the right way and the satisfaction of ownership.

If you really can't afford to put one of the new short blocks in, you are already behind the curve. If you can do your own wrenching, that would save a ton. If not the R&R, parts, basic necessary machine work, plus the cost of the used engine is going to be as much or more.

I know it looks cheaper on the surface, in the end you still will have to lay out a large chunk of change. This is from personal experience BTW not hypothetical.

Good luck with your choice, I really hope it works out because there are fewer and fewer Lightnings on the road every day.

Sorry for the rant.... my kids say I spend way too much time on the soap box :-D

Users who are viewing this thread