Difficult to down shift into 3rd..

BrianR

Mild Mannered
Established Member
Is it just me? I have a hell of time down shifting into 3rd, it doesn't grind, it's just has a great deal of resistance. Up shifting into 3rd is no problem. 2500 miles on the car.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Hmm, not sure. I don't think I have heard anyone having trouble going from 4th to 3rd. :??:

whitesnake03

Venomous Tennessean
Established Member
Mine is a little stiff when down shifting from 6th or 5th, but I am changing the gear oil this weekend to the Royal purple because I have heard nothing but good things about, so I hope this helps. :shrug:

SVTyballz

Established Member
Don't try to "guide" it into 3rd. What I do is take the heel of my hand and just shove the shifter forward. I found that whenever I get tense and have a deathgrip on the shifter I will miss a shift every once in awhile. Hope this helps.

gary

StangD281

Established Member
Try moving it a little to the left once you hit the neutral position as opposed to pushing straight up. This may help easing it up into third.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
i have the same problem too. i have a pro 5.0 shifter and can't downshift to 3rd. i used to want to puch straight up 4 to 3, but now i go to neutral and move it slightly to the left and it goes rigth in.

Users who are viewing this thread