Difficulty getting into 1st and 2nd?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
This has happened on a couple occasions at a stop. Just doesn't want to go in, but will with some clutch and shifter fiddling. Only 500 miles and not abused. Thoughts?

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Mine has just developed this problem as of a few days ago. I have 8k on the odometer.

Cobraguy01

Behind The Scene
Established Member
Mine has had this problem from day one. 1300 miles only on the car. Dealer says typical of the car. Its amazing that every problem our cars have we get the same answer (It's typical of the car for that to happen). If it was up to the Dealer our cars would never have any thing wrong with them. Just my opinion

CuLaTeR

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobraguy01
Culater, So have they got a fix for this problem?

Not too sure. My car will be at the dealership on monday morning till the problems are fixed. I will not leave the dealership till I am satisfied the car is fixed. This is the dealerships last chance to get the car right.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Pull ur shifter cover cover off. Mine had problems with it since day one & once i pulled off the cover i noticed 1 bolt stripped...hope that not ur problem.

Quick fix was the Steeda Tri-ax

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
i had the same problem when it would get hot from traffic or long trips, when i put it in neutral it would be hard to put back into first without putting the clutch to the floor a couple times, and it was not shifting right either. i installed a steeda firewall adjuster/quick release quadrant and it shfts perfectly smooth all the time now, with no problem getting into gear. i also installed a PRO-5.0 which feels 100x better than the stock shifter.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member

ALA G8R

Banned
Caveman6666,
Next time this happens, shut off the motor, push the clutch pedal to the floor, and try to engage 1st gear. If it does so easily, then you may have a clutch linkage problem or the clutch plate is binding to the transmission input shaft.

I had this problem on a 98 Cobra. With the clutch pedal depressed, the clutch plate would stick on the input shaft and maintain friction with the pressure plate. This would cause the transmission input shaft to continue to spin as if the clutch was engaged. I couldn't get the car to go into 1st without shutting of the motor first. Shutting off the motor stopped the transmission input shaft from spinning.

The dealer swapped the clutch plate and the problem was gone forever.

The excessive clutch linkage play could also cause this to happen.

Hope this helps.

Oops, just saw your comment about this happening with the engine off. This may not help afterall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread