Dilemma 2.9 whipple (front intake) or vmp TVS 2

corepwn

Established Member
They quote 11psi, but it's nearly 12 (11.88) on a car with long tubes (which on any given pulley usually reduce psi) in the article, so it's turned up a fair amount.

Shaun @ AED has dyno videos of TVS cars on e85 @ 9psi making 675rwhp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9oBRV732b8

I know the VMP is capable of 950-1000rwhp or more depending on supporting mods and proper fuel. (E85 or Race Gas), I'd expect the Whipple to be similar being a bigger blower.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea that car can exhale pretty darn good with that setup, the coyotes heads alone make the flow from the lightnings 2v look like an asthmatic blowing in a straw.
It's odd, I've found one video of the new 2.9 on a S197 5.0, the rest are all on S550s, many which are nearly stock making over 625 or more to the wheels, even on 91.
Now what size pulley and how much boost they are actually throwing at them is another thing. It's hard to tell but if the bottom end of the S550 coyote is basically sourced from the BOSS parts bin, you could and likely would throw much more boost at it than an original coyote.

stangn

Established Member
I have a 2.9 rear entry, ran it at 10-11 psi for a year. It never heat soaked ran 10:60's @ 128 with weak 1:50 60' times and was dead repeatable pass after pass. That's on 18" Nitto DR at the track or street. Yea higher boost it will wake up but it's not a pig on low boost. TVS car are running quicker but I believe a lot of that is in the car ( convertor & 15" DR ) with 1:40 60's TVS will go low 10's on similar boost.

People, this is strictly my opinion so don't start freaking out!

Rex Racer

Established Member
I was looking at the Brenspeed 650R package, but I will be looking at the VMP Gen2 kit as well. I called VMP today, but Justin was not in the office due to race season.

The Whipple looks nice, but given the expense and my personal goals (550RWHP and 500 TQ) for a daily driver, street/weekend fun I'll pass on the Whipple.

I was recently quoted 11k to hit those numbers; however, I have more shopping to do. A call to VMP and a call to Beefcake before I make a decision.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
11k seems high, twin turbo money or close. You can get a gen 2 stage 2 VMP for 7k with a email tune from Justin and do that or better. I have this same kit and it is great, looks killer under the hood (I also like the way black v3 kits look also), drives like stock and is punishing when you mash it. Justin is good to work with and knows the coyote well.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, did you make a decision yet?

Not yet, I'm waiting to hear/see more about the 2.9 Whipple with the front inlet in the real world on 11-14 coyotes.
The only car I've seen or have read about is a member on here who let Whipple use his car to design the kit.

evil281

Established Member
Not yet, I'm waiting to hear/see more about the 2.9 Whipple with the front inlet in the real world on 11-14 coyotes.
The only car I've seen or have read about is a member on here who let Whipple use his car to design the kit.

With your goal of 600+Hp I am not sure what is holding you back from the VMP? They are cheaper, they have one of the best tuners, they have tons of people running them with no issue. If you get the stage 3 you get the dual fans, BAP, ID1000's and 67mm TB. The stage 3 from whipple is more expensive and still doesnt have dual fans or ID1000's.

For a goal of 600hp it should be a no brainer to me.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
With your goal of 600+Hp I am not sure what is holding you back from the VMP? They are cheaper, they have one of the best tuners, they have tons of people running them with no issue. If you get the stage 3 you get the dual fans, BAP, ID1000's and 67mm TB. The stage 3 from whipple is more expensive and still doesnt have dual fans or ID1000's.

For a goal of 600hp it should be a no brainer to me.

Actually the stage 2 has dual fans also. But you are right on with everything else.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
The VMP is a great kit, I love mine. Might sell my setup if you're interested though, because the twins are calling me :dancenana:

Rex Racer

Established Member
11k seems high, twin turbo money or close. You can get a gen 2 stage 2 VMP for 7k with a email tune from Justin and do that or better. I have this same kit and it is great, looks killer under the hood (I also like the way black v3 kits look also), drives like stock and is punishing when you mash it. Justin is good to work with and knows the coyote well.

I posted in another thread asking for advice on power adders.

It was a local shop, very reputable, but mostly experienced with the LS engine. The bulk of their work is on Camaro and Corvette. They have done work before on the Coyote, but I could tell that it was inexperience. The gist of the conversation was, "This is what I had to do when figuring out how to tune the Mustang."

11k for 550RWHP.

I will be giving Justin a call soon. He was out of office yesterday.

Redline8k

Established Member
I spent some time taking to BJ at the track today about similar goals (6oo-625 whp on 93 oct 10 second time slips) and he was very informative and not pushy at all. for the price and my goals Im strongly leaning twards a v3 kit... fun for both street and track!
thanks for the time today BJ Ill be in contact soon for a tune. ;)

stangn

Established Member
OPer you should obviously follow everyone else and get the VMP. Lol

Nobody ever wants more once they experience boost, definitely get the minimum you need. No reason a bigger blower making less boost with no heat soak ( without extra fans ) is needed.
Feeling like a smart ass today guy enjoy the fury to follow. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread