Direct Injection Conversion?

SeaFoam

Established Member
With the 2018 gaining DI, would it be easy to convert ours to DI? Would it be worth it? What's involved, 2018 heads, injectors, fuel pump and a tune?

Bathroom thoughts....

noldevin

Established Member
No, not at all. I'd imagine a full fuel system swap. Then you probably have to have your block bored for the injection and/or swap to the new heads.
Then you have to figure out how to swap ecu's and still have everything work correctly.

AKDMB

Established Member
The new motors get Port Injection with Direct Injection. Carbon buildup shouldn't be an issue. A D.I. Swap might be possible, depends on how the High Pressure Fuel Pump fits to the motor. Also the pistons are probably redesigned to work better with D.I. (they're 12:1 anyways, so they're definitely different). A PCM swap would definitely be necessary.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The new motors get Port Injection with Direct Injection. Carbon buildup shouldn't be an issue. A D.I. Swap might be possible, depends on how the High Pressure Fuel Pump fits to the motor. Also the pistons are probably redesigned to work better with D.I. (they're 12:1 anyways, so they're definitely different). A PCM swap would definitely be necessary.

Modders are happy with the dual setups. They will leave the DI part alone and upgrade the port injection side. Way cheaper and injectors and pumps already exist.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Heard the same about DI just a few years ago and they still have bad carbon build up issues. The problem isn't new either. the intake valve goes into the combustion chamber, whether it is port fuel injected or direct injected. When it does, even though it's fast, the valve is exposed to combustion byproducts that can or will stick to it. If the previous combustion cycle was less than optimal, the intake valve is exposed and carbon will build up.
Now maybe with even newer technology, maybe Ford finally (after how many years) found a way that will actually reduce it.
But I would continue to use known gas stations (better cleaners in the gas) and change your plugs regularly (though they might still work, their efficiency is less and then there's unburnt gas).

With that and the higher compression, have they said what the power will be now for the 18's? Maybe 450HP. Guess I could google and check.

AKDMB

Established Member
Rumor is 455 right now. Ford added Port Fueling to the 3.5 for 2017, so they must think it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread