Direct TV or Dish Network

Ginsu

Established Member
Those who have tried both or have other inside knowledge what are your opinions on the two? Currently I have Direct TV and when I got it I got the free one room system. Since then I have bought another HD TV and a TiVo reciever but the problem I have is I only have a single din dish. So now to upgrade I need to buy a new dish and run some more wires. Does anyone know if Direct TV has upgrade packages? Otherwise if Dish Network is good (or maybe better now) I will check into a new customer deal by switching and save alot of money by buying more equipment.

Help me out here guys.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Tommy is right about the Dish Network having more dishes, PLUS in October they will be rolling out a new satellite and a new dish system which has dual LNB's that can pick up 3 YES you heard me right folks 3 satellites at one time!!!

I have Direct TV its not too bad, but Dish Network has all the gee wow cool stuff going on right now :D

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Had dish network. Needed 2 seperate sattelites on my roof. The homeowners association for my condos is making everyone who has wires on the outside of the house reroute them so none show (mine don't show but they want me to move them anyway). Dish was unwilling to help do this for 10 residents that live in my complex including myself for a fee.

I made it simple, switched and got 3 months free from direct tv, and a discount on the football package. My monthly bill is cheaper and the service is better. With dish we also had problems getting true surround sound and could never solve it. Not anymore! The only downside to all this is I don't get the 300 spanish stations in between channel 2 and the movie channels.

I think dish sucks and am very happy I switched. 10 less customers for dish. JMHO.

nj7703

Established Member
Dish network here too. If you like football, Direct TV is the way, otherwise DISH NETWORK is the way to go. I have a TIVO like device, NO PHONELINE NEEDED!!! i get 65 hrs or recording time, i can set up schedules, it is incredible, i think better than the basic tivo, because it does NOT cost you a dime on monthly subscriptions.

ltv1

Established Member
Ask around at work about the "special" boxes that you can get "special" cards for, like NFL Ticket.

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by ltv1
Ask around at work about the "special" boxes that you can get "special" cards for, like NFL Ticket.

All i will say is personally knowing a few people busted after "Black Sunday" when direct TV killed those receives a few years ago, the fines are nasty!! One guy i know mediated his fine down to 10,000 bucks and no jail time. Just do your hmework before you start burning your own cards. There is serious risk!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Those cards are a Federal Crime, so look out!

I have dish network. $82/month gets me the 150 channels plus all the pay channels.

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Those cards are a Federal Crime, so look out!

I have dish network. $82/month gets me the 150 channels plus all the pay channels.

Have you run across anyone prosecuted for cable theft or dish theft? I know they show no mercy, For years cable got ripped off with people and "black boxes" Some things are not worth trying to get as a "freebe"

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by nj7703
Have you run across anyone prosecuted for cable theft or dish theft? I know they show no mercy, For years cable got ripped off with people and "black boxes" Some things are not worth trying to get as a "freebe"

Yes I have seen the paperwork on it! The Dish people like the cable people are serious about protecting thier product from hackers.

Ginsu

Established Member
Well, I called Direct TV and for about $75 (that is if I have the stuff mailed meaning shipping included) I can get a dish (HD ready) with 3 LND's and installed as an upgrade. I am considering doing this but I am also going to look into Dish Network since I have heard they have more HD channels. Plus I want to compair the programing, price and equipment.

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by Ginsu
Well, I called Direct TV and for about $75 (that is if I have the stuff mailed meaning shipping included) I can get a dish (HD ready) with 3 LND's and installed as an upgrade. I am considering doing this but I am also going to look into Dish Network since I have heard they have more HD channels. Plus I want to compair the programing, price and equipment.

http://servicedesk.dbstalk.com/

That is a good source to compare. I know dish gives you 2 free receivers, the dish, and free installation if you sign up for 29.99 worth of programming. Again, if you watch a lot of "cable" programs, dish is a hair cheaper and has more channels. If you wants sports, can't beat Direct TV. I almost switched when i heard they got the bid for NFL Ticket again.

Users who are viewing this thread