Direct TV

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
I currently have Comcast Triple Play and have been pleased with everything but I just got a new HDTV and need to upgrade. I bought my TV at BestBuy and they are running a deal with DirectTV that is really good but I wanted to know how their service rates among customers. If you have them as a provider could you please give me your opinion/experience and what High Def package you have.

Thanks for you time.
P&V

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
I have had dish network and it was absolute garbage....my dad has direct tv at his house and loves it. I would say its pretty good with only one drawback, if you have a bad t-storm then it will cut out.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I have Dish Network, and have had DirecTV. Personally I like Dish better, I pay less for more channels and the HD DVR is better. The one thing I do miss is the Tivo menu from Direct but other than that, I can't say that I would recommend them.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
We have been using it since 2007. The only problem we had was the initial setup. It took many phone calls and many wasted hours waiting for a tech to show up (stood us up 2 days in a row without calling). Once it was setup it's been a great service.

They're almost are always having some kind of promotion. Right now we got the NFL package which included ALL of the movie channels for FREE. They have that to use for 4 months. Every time we offered to down grade our services they will call with a new offer or extend a service for us. The HD lineup is great and they are about to add more.

I can't really say I EVER remember losing a satellite connection more than maybe one or two times. Hell, we even had a tornado come through and it stayed on. Had sporadic loses but it never went out.

I am having a problem right now were all of the HID channels are jerking around but I think my HD is going bad in my DVR. I was actually about to call them before seeing this thread.

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I have had dish network and it was absolute garbage....my dad has direct tv at his house and loves it. I would say its pretty good with only one drawback, if you have a bad t-storm then it will cut out.

It must depend on locations of people dishes because I still haven't had any outages during a rain/t-storm.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I have direct i love it. Have the 5 room system with two HD DVR's. I think dish offers more channels but i have the ones i need. After having it for two years and my contract is up i told them my cable company had a deal for HD. They gave me 3 months free service to stay with all the movie channels free for a year. They will deal with ya.

Also if you have verizon cell phone or home phone they will take 5 bucks off a month of each of those. The same for verizon DSL. So that helps out too.

txyaloo

Established Member
I have DTV with no complaints (other than not getting ABC in HD). Their new beta DVR firmware also includes multiroom viewing which is much better than Dish's MRV offering.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I had a dish once as there was not any other options where I lived because the local cable programming was just terrible. I had a good experience but know it is hit or miss with the dish systems based on what others have said.

Now I have FIOS and absolutely love it.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
how many channels? and can you get like USA, TNT etc?

Every single channel dish offers. The only thing is you have to buy the equipment which will be in the $500 area and includes satellite dish, HD receiver with recording features. The other only thing is you must have a continous Internet connection. I can point to a website via PM if anyone is interested in getting more info.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
how many channels? and can you get like USA, TNT etc?

What he's talking about is illegal. Probably not a path you want to walk down.

Every single channel dish offers. The only thing is you have to buy the equipment which will be in the $500 area and includes satellite dish, HD receiver with recording features. The other only thing is you must have a continous Internet connection. I can point to a website via PM if anyone is interested in getting more info.

How about mentioning what you're doing is illegal before pushing people in that direction?

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Well, I am thinking of going with DirectTV for my TV because of the deal and then using Comcast for my internet and ATT for phone. I need a simple analog line for my alarm to work. Anyway, thanks for everyones input. Please keep them coming.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Ten years with DTV. I love how you can change your package online and it instantly changes on your TV. Customer service has always been helpful to me and NFL Sunday ticket + RedZone Channel crushes anything else.

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member
I've had our local cable programming, DirecTV and Dish Network all in the last 10 years. We're now on our second run with Dish Network and don't see any reason to change. The ability to record a program (even HD) and watch it on either our HD set or our SD set is very cool. The Dish DVR is far better than our cable system's unit.

Bottom line, negotiate. Deals can be found if you look hard enough. You've no doubt noticed that you'll get as many opinions as you will channel choices so take mine as simply one more that's a fan of Dish.

blackonblackGT

Established Member
I work for a third party company that does business with DIRECTV. they don't take care of existing customers. If you want multiple HD or DVR boxes get ready to pay 99 dollars each one and your bill goes up 26 dollars after the 12 months. Once you sign up and you're an existing customer, you're in the palm of their hands. Don't sign up.

Users who are viewing this thread