Dirt bike folks. 2 stroke or 4 Stroke debate

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
OP you said no traction and fouls plugs. Learn to tune carbs and better set up your bike. Mine do neither.

Check out the newer KTM 300 2 stroke bikes. Electric start and they can tractor.

check out this guys channel for ktm 300 stuff https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj8_8RcJRf73iO_0o1Djd-g

Or for cheaper, older yz250.

It's going to be a cold day in hell when i recommend a 4 stroke dirtbike for anything.

nxhappy

Established Member
OP you said no traction and fouls plugs. Learn to tune carbs and better set up your bike. Mine do neither.

Check out the newer KTM 300 2 stroke bikes. Electric start and they can tractor.

check out this guys channel for ktm 300 stuff https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj8_8RcJRf73iO_0o1Djd-g

It's going to be a cold day in hell when i recommend a 4 stroke dirtbike for anything.

KTM FTMFW ! :beer:

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member

I am looking at the 200 /250
Ktm 2 smoker

ziggity

Established Member
I had a 80 2 stroke when I was younger , blew it up a couple times. Moved on to a 02 yz250f, the thing was bulletproof and the oil wasn't changed in it as near as much as it should of been. Got another 09 yz250f after that and same thing, never had a problem.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
4 stroke with out a doubt. Iv raced motocross since I was 5 years old and I'v never cared for two strokes.
Explain why you don't care for two stroke. Provide examples from your personal experience of owning them. If you haven't, we'll.....

Two strokes are cheaper for Mx. OP didn't say he was doing JUST MX.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
The only thing I miss about 4t is pump gas, but even then, mixing is stupid easy.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Explain why you don't care for two stroke. Provide examples from your personal experience of owning them. If you haven't, we'll.....

Two strokes are cheaper for Mx. OP didn't say he was doing JUST MX.
Yeah a lot of trail and hare scrambles maybe 2x a year.
The only thing I miss about 4t is pump gas, but even then, mixing is stupid easy.
Yup I still have the 5 gallon tank from my quads with the fast fill top.

Pre marked for mixing

Sn95Snake

Established Member
If you are going under a 250 I would go with a 2 stroke because it will be a much more powerful bike. 250 and on up I would go with the 4 stroke everytime! I just like how much more torque they have.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
that 300 is the last bike you will ever need for long long long time. That thing is a best yet can tractor when needed. Also electric start. Just make sure you select the wide ratio. That dirtbike channel link i posted days ago goes in DEPTH about the ktm 300's.

I will own one one day. My former yz250 just sucked in trails due to the fast first keep. It would stall when trying to go slow. And if i gear it down, top speed was terrible. But the YZ is a MX bike and it did MX great.

08mojo

Established Member
Basic maintenance on a 4 stroke will give you hours upon hours of enjoyment without any hiccups.
IIRC, when I used to ride/race, the only bikes that had picky valves were the Hondas, but that was 2010-2011, so maybe their reliability has gone up.

A lot of interesting information in this thread. Honda's have been renowned for their reliability (as has Yamaha). The years that liked to wear out valves were 2005 and older. Honda changed the valve seat material in 2006, which greatly improved valve life. All the MX style 4-strokes are high strung engines with exotic parts--the valves will need attention on all brands at some point.

This is a question of wether you want to spend more time riding or wrenching.

Premixing fuel/oil, constantly fouling and changing/sparkplugs, rejecting the carbs anytime the temp changes more than 10 degrees, new pistons and rings every year and various other shenanigans. :rolleyes:

me personally i enjoy just filling up from the pump and going about my merry way. But thats just me

**puts on 2 flame suits**

:pop:

Funny, because my experience between the two-stroke and four-stroke is the exact opposite. I have a 2012 CRF450R and a 2003 CR250R. If you want a MX style bike, the maintenance and upkeep on the 4 strokes is WAY more than their 2 stroke counter-parts. With my 250, I change the piston once a year, change the spark plug once a year and change the oil every few rides. I can rebuild the top end on the 250 in about an hour--including beer breaks! If you can tune the carb right, fouling plugs is not an issue--and a simple twist of the air screw takes care of the weather changes. Yes, I do have to premix the fuel, but that is a really brainless and simple task.

I have owned the 450 since new--it's a great bike, but requires a lot more work to keep it running great. The engine oil gets changes twice as much as the transmission oil (so twice the oil changes compared to the 250). The engine oil change also includes a filter--which is $6 each time and that adds up! There is a fuel filter that has to be changed. My 450 likes to destroy the packing in the muffler--so that is changed a lot more than the 250. The 450 eats tires, chains sprockets and clutches--the extra power of the 450 is nice, but it comes at a cost. Then, there is the added maintenance/monitoring of the valves. I have about 100 hours on my 450, and the valves have not moved, but I know it's coming. The piston has the same replacement schedule as the 250, but requires A LOT more work to replace.

I had a KTM250 smoker. That thing was a ****ing monster. But it would suck gas like a 2 time whore, and I HATED mixing gas. It was a great bike, just not for my long desert rides. In fact I ran out of gas multiple times, boy I wish I had extra fuel lol.

The 4 strokes are great because they SIP gas compared to the smokers. But if the motor blows up, you might as well scrap the entire bike. My Honda buddies are CONSTANTLY ****ing around with their 450s.. so I wouldn't touch a Honda. I previously had a Yami 450f, it was a great reliable bike. Although I didn't like the gearing as it only had 4 gears. Right now I have a KTM 450f. It is by far one of my favorite bikes.

My 250 likes to drink gas, but my 450 is just as bad if not worse. Also interesting to hear your honda buddies have a lot of problems. Honda's have been somewhat universally accepted as being the most reliable brand out there in the dirtbike world.

To the OP:

It is easier to go faster on a 4-stroke. They make more power, have a huge powerband and put the power down efficiently. There is a reason 4-strokes started dominating the race tracks when they first appeared in the early 2000s. If you want a 4-stroke, and want to avoid added maintenance and costs, get something from the manufacturers trail line-up: honda 250x or 450x, yamaha wrf250 or wrf450, etc... Those bikes are made with longer wearing parts and are a bit de-tuned compared to the MX models. They will run forever with nothing more than regular maintence that any bike would require. Plus, their suspension will be a lot better for trails and casual riding. The MX models are stiff!

If you want a MX style bike, which is what I prefer for the explosive power and close ratio transmissions, I'd recommend a two stroke. This is based on the casual, fun only riding you mentioned. For the trails, my 450 is great: there is power EVERYWHERE and lots of it, but it certainly has its nuisances. It DOES NOT like to go slow and will easily overheat on tight twisty trails or a long/technical uphill. I have to shut the bike off every time I stop because it will start to bleed coolant within 30-60 seconds of stopping. It does not have any issues with hot starts thanks to fuel injection. If you want a four-stroke, I'd strongly recommend going for a bike with fuel injection.

9 times out of 10, I take the 2-stroke 250 out for a ride. The burst of power you get when hitting the powerband is an awesome rush. Having to use more throttle and clutch control makes the ride more involved and more interesting/fun. I can let the bike idle all day long and it never over heats, so tight trails are a non-issue--which I love.

Both bikes do great on the track--but admittedly, I'm a class D rider at best on the tracks. It is easier to go faster on the 4-stroke, but it also beats me up a lot quicker. There no way around it, the 450s are monsters.

nxhappy

Established Member
Not sure how reliable the Honda's are. I will never buy one though. Everyone in my riding group has had major engine problems. But we take LONG desert rides and beat the shit out the bikes. I recommend KTM....they just make high quality bikes.

nxhappy

Established Member
What's the price tag on them? The 200 is like 8900 around here lol m
That's why I'm looking it them. Cheaper

honestly you don't need a new one lol. Just look for an older model for half the price !

blk02edge

Established Member
Not sure how reliable the Honda's are. I will never buy one though. Everyone in my riding group has had major engine problems. But we take LONG desert rides and beat the shit out the bikes. I recommend KTM....they just make high quality bikes.

I've had honda and now have ktm and my opinion is opposite on reliability. Kind of pointless recommending which is more "reliable" imo they are all the same

Users who are viewing this thread