Dirt Bike Guys Come In - CR vs. CRF

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
I'm buying a dirt bike and need some advice. It's between a CR250R and a CRF250R and I'm not sure which I want to buy. I know the 2-strokes are easier to maintain, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to handle that 2-stroke power snap. I like the four stroke for their linear power band, but I don't like the fact that a top end rebuild costs 2-3x as much a 2-stroke.

Experience on either bike would be appreciated, thanks.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
CRF for sure. If you're worried about the snap of a cr then you're not going to max out the crf250. They are plenty fast and if you keep the air filter clean and change the oil they don't need top end builds very often. Checking the valves is an easy task if you're somewhat handy but it only costs about $150 to have someone do them for you. The cr250 would be a bit faster but if you're looking to play around on a mx track then it'll wear you out quick. If you like to hit the dunes then get a CRf450.

clbailey

Established Member
CRF for sure. If you're worried about the snap of a cr then you're not going to max out the crf250. They are plenty fast and if you keep the air filter clean and change the oil they don't need top end builds very often. Checking the valves is an easy task if you're somewhat handy but it only costs about $150 to have someone do them for you. The cr250 would be a bit faster but if you're looking to play around on a mx track then it'll wear you out quick. If you like to hit the dunes then get a CRf450.

Exactly what I was gonna say, you'll most likely trade up before you have to do a top end build, even then they aint hard.

91GT

Established Member
If your riding trails then the smoker for sure (CR).

If you are riding MX tracks then go with the thumper (CRF).

x99blacksnakex

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys, and I'll be riding probably 95% trails, and almost no jumps or anything like that.

Tomorrow I'm looking at a '96 CR250 and a 2000 CRF250.

trxcobra

Established Member
If you're looking into bikes that old, I would go 2 stroke hands down! I previously owned a 2005 cr250 and just sold it last year. Raced the bike for three seasons and rode aggressively basically every weekend until 2011. Never failed me once. I replaced the top end twice just because I felt like it between race seasons and it looks brand new every time. Best bike I have ever owned.

91GT

Established Member
I would not touch a 13 year old 250f with a 10 foot pole. That thing is a time bomb. The Honda's tend to eat valves too. A 250f, esp the 1st year one like that will have no torque and be very frustrating off road. I advise strongly against the 250f.

I have heard good things about the last of the steel frame cr's but I think they have a big mid range hit and could be intimidating for a newbie. A flywheel weight will make a big difference.

I think you are on the right track with a 250 two stroke but maybe not that one. It would have to be quite a good deal for me to consider it.

What's your price range?

x99blacksnakex

Established Member
Im looking to spend 2K and under. The kid wants 1300 for the 96 CR250 and thats a decent price if its in solid shape.

Errors courtesy of Tapatard and Samscum

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
If you are looking for a woods/trail bike there is none better for the money than a Kawasaki KDX 200 or 220. Light, quick, great 2 stroke power without the hit of a MX'er, reliable as a hammer and they can go hundreds of hours before they need a top end rebuild. They were mechanically the same from '95 -'06 (H models) so any bike in that year range is what you want. Look at condition. The best way to tell a low hour bike is by the wear on the frame where your boots rub and on the engine cases. These bikes typically go for between $1000 and $1800. I have one (a '97) and it's my favorite bike of all time. Jeff Fredette won many ISDE championships riding the ol' KDX so it is a very competitive woods machine. Suspension-wise and power-wise it won't touch a CR250 or any other two stroke MX bike but it's no joke either. Jet it right and do the cheap and easy mods (air box, reeds, pipe) and it will have enough power to keep you grinning for a long time. http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g205/dackler/KDX/60a3d03b.jpg

Sonic03BlueGT

Established Member
I've owned several cr250's and a crf250. From experience the cr250s are ten times as reliable as the crfs. The crf will kill it on steep hills with switchbacks though, I don't care how good you ride. You can lug the crf around, the cr will love the revs. If you get to be a pretty decent rider you will yearn for more bottom and top end than the crf250 can provide. I would def. look for a 00-01 cr250 if I was looking, they are the best 250s Honda ever built. THe aluminum frame is miles ahead of the steel frame bikes in my eyes and the styling on the 00-01 is miles ahead of the first couple years of aluminum frame bikes. I had a 98 and a 01, the 01 was much stronger and a better all around bike. I would stay away from a crf that is that old, unless the seller has receipts for a top end rebuild recently including new valves

99GTvert

Established Member
Why are you looking at MX bikes if you are going to be trail riding? I would go with a DR350 or XR400. Both have plenty of power, are geared better for trail riding, and have softer suspension.

clbailey

Established Member
If he doesn't have a vagina he will out grow that bike in a matter of weeks.

My mom rides one and I ride it from time to time and yea you are right on long straights its kinda powerless but on trails it does great very easy to maneuver. I outgrew it in 3 hours.

strongs_2009

Established Member
Go CRF450 it can do anything you want. Putt around the trails or rip up the track if you get it in you one day to hit the track and race some friends. I had a 2007 CR250 and a 2010 CRF450. But after running 4 strokes I would never go back to a 2 stroke.

91GT

Established Member
Both of those look good. It depends on what type of trails your riding. If it is mainly fire roads, double track quad trails, etc then the XR would be perfect. If you are riding more nasty stuff and single track then go with the Kdx.

My brother has a 97 Kdx and I can't say enough good things about that bike. Our trails are pretty tight though so it really shines there.

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
My lightly modded KDX 200 easily walks my buddy's stock XR 400. The XR is heavier and has more grunt down low. The KDX is very torquey down low for a 2 stroke and once you get it up on the pipe it is a handful. The light weight of the KDX makes it quite flickable in the tight woods. Mine will show you the front fender up close in 1-3 with just twisting the throttle. OP, the KDX you linked is an older (E) model. While older KDXs are still good, the '95 -06 (H model)has the newest features: stronger lighter frame, better fork springs and improved KIPS powervalve. Try to find an H model. If the purple seat and crazy graphics of the '95 -'01 bikes isn't your style, a new black gripper seat cover will run you $40 and newer black, white and green graphics are $40 too. Easy to change to give the bike the more modern look of the '02-'06 models.

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I ride a KDX200, and as far as I can tell it's a great bike. I've only been riding a handful of times, but my wife has been riding for over 20 years and she thinks they are great bikes as well, but prefers her dad's KDX220 as it's got a stiffer suspension and fits her riding style.

I have a 10ish minute video of me trail riding with my wife and my father in law I could post after work.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
2 stroke all the way. If you are worried about the power hit just run a flywheel weight. 12 ounce for trail riding is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread