Disappointing dyno today

0103SVT

Established Member
It was on a dynojet and it was also the same place that I dynoed at when it was stock. They did it in third gear but the guy said he couldn't go WOT until about 3800 rpms so that it wouldn't kick down to second.

Paul - I normally see 16#s in Abilene. This was the first time I had ever seen 17 and I just figured it was because they had it tied down real tight putting more load on it. You probably don't see as much with your headers letting it out faster.

0103SVT

Established Member
ID 10 T said:
He should be able to lock the converter and go WOT from like 65 mph or so, 3800 is too high to start the pull from.

Well that's what I thought too but if you lock the converter doesn't that makes your numbers higher? If those are what my numbers should be with the converter unlocked then that is a little more acceptable but I still don't think they are right.

Was everybodies converters locked when they dynoed? I know that will make a difference in HP but I still don't think enough of a difference to bring my numbers to where they should be.

Last edited:

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
I know at the dyno i last used , theyran from like 3k up for the pulls, and modded the tune so the trnny wouldnt kick down

0103SVT

Established Member
Here is my dyno sheet. Sorry it's so big, I don't have anyway to resize it.

slammed%2003%20040.jpg

svt_racing

Established Member
hmm, well as far as locking the converter goes I thought that was the standard way of doing it, I don't see why it would inflate your #'s, your only doing it so you wont get any shift spikes from it down shifting. I'm pretty sure that is what they did at TSP. Maybe like ID 10 T said, you could be running a lot richer than what the snifer says but then again who knows. How did you Cobra dyno, what kind of A/F's did it make. Was everything good with that one?? Take the L to the track, that will tell you what kind of power your making. You should run atleast an 8.2-3 with slicks in this weather. One more thing, are you still getting a lot of smoke on start up, not from oil but fuel, I think a bluish type smoke is fuel. I'd pull a plug or two and see how it looks, you will know if its getting fouled out.

Last edited:

0103SVT

Established Member
For those of you that are curious or having the same problem, you may need to bleed you IC system. I found out that my IAT2 temps were getting above 150* and this is what happens.

At 150 and above the pcm will retard spark by 12 degrees up to 3k, 9 degrees from roughly 3k to 4.5k, and 7 degrees from 4.5k on up! This is where the majority of your power went, thus also effecting your fueling, as well (although not entirely why you're rich). At 70mph your IAT2 temps shouldn't be any higher than 10 to 20 degrees over ambient, depending.

My IAT2 temps were getting above 150 while driving down the highway at 70mph. I thought that I bled the system right but apparently not.

Users who are viewing this thread