Ditched Nexus - went Alpine ILX-007 - Base Model '13

DeeJayTJ

Established Member
I've always wanted a factory "look" since i bought my car brand new in 2013, i dont like most aftermarket double din receivers because they look cheap, even the expensive ones.. just so out of place with cheap looking shiny buttons etc.

Here's what a factory nav setup looks like as some of us are lucky to have it and some aren't lol (me being the unlucky one not to be able to afford it at time of purchase, although i never actually looked into it...)

2013-Ford-Mustang-26-M.jpg

and here's what I made earlier in the year - 2013 nexus 7 - sony app radio GS610bt remotely mounted behind carpet liner in trunk near antenna

IMG_2238-M.jpg

nexus with factory ambient lighting
IMG_3658-M.jpg

The nexus was nice while it lasted but honestly a pain in the ass. Steering wheel controls worked half the time and mostly when in the radio app rather than anything else.

So for an early birthday present to myself, I ditched that setup which took me a long time to try to make perfect and went with the Alpine ILX-007. It's a carplay receiver - my usb port is flush mounted into the center console next to the 3.5mm AUX input for a nice clean factory look.

It's hooked up using the idatalink maestro kit which i had on my other setup as well, it works GREAT and steering wheel controls and factory camera spoiler hooked up to it also works as it should!

Got this from bestbuy as an "open box" for $449! originally $599!

IMG_4120-M.jpg

IMG_4118-M.jpg

IMG_4125-M.jpg

any questions feel free to hit me up.

My base model has been upgraded in appearance and features such as heated seats, trackapps cluster, ambient lighting, reverse camera spoiler, oem leather take-offs from a 2013, gt500 door panels with a small hidden amp to power the door subs, and I've also put the microphone in the overhead map light console where the ford sync mic was - in order to get a great microphone call quality i had to insulate the roof with sound deadening material like dynamat - and now finally a real double din headunit with carplay and navigation etc.

Last edited:

DeeJayTJ

Established Member
i got lucky on the spoiler, it was only 50$ on ebay and was a brand new take off! it even came in the right color but i had to have it repainted because it got scuffed pretty good in shipping.

scott_0

Established Member
that looks amazing man! I would seriously pay you to make me one of those custom dash panels identical to yours

bceeezy

Established Member
You're the guy that had that huge writeup on mustangsource, right? You helped me a ton with the Bluetooth mic!! Your interior looks awesome!

I just bought the gt500 dome light...how did you put the grom mic in there? Any pics or tips to retrofit it?

DeeJayTJ

Established Member
Hi, yeah I have the write up on TMS forum, as far as the domelight, i eventually bought the one that has a sync mic built into it and just swapped out the sync mic for the new alpine headunits mic. I had too much trouble with wind noise and road noise so i used dynamat sound deadener on the underside of the roof of the car and insulated it real well where the mic goes which seems to of helped quite a bit! There is a lot of road noise from the car overall so i may end up sound deadening the whole thing someday.

RusWolf

Established Member
How do you like the AC controls on the screen?

I thought the stock mic is on top of the mirror, where are guys finding mics in the dome lights.

Also, how do you like the aftermarket bluetooth system/interface compared to SYNC?

i would like to do something similar but would like to retain SYNC.

Last edited:

bceeezy

Established Member
How do you like the AC controls on the screen?

I thought the stock mic is on top of the mirror, where are guys finding mics in the dome lights.

Also, how do you like the aftermarket bluetooth system/interface compared to SYNC?

i would like to do something similar but would like to retain SYNC.
Can't speak for the other stuff since I don't have sync or anything, but the dome light with speaker can be found on eBay for about 50 bucks (shipping not included). I tore out the mic that came with it and ran my grom bluetooth mic up to the light where it fit nicely in that slot.

Users who are viewing this thread