DIY guys need help with time estimate for clutch install

mysticalsnake

Established Member
I've never had to change the clutch on a car before and my buddy did it to his 97 cobra and it took him and his step-dad (mechanic) 10-12 hours to do it...my question is: how long did it take you guys to do a completely clutch kit install, new flywheel, and also do the 26 spline conversion?

thanks in advance!

djtyau

Established Member
That sounds about right with two people. I took my time over a Christmas break so I didn't really calculate the total time. If I were to guess the time, I would say by myself it took about me 15hrs (I work slow).

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Are you using jacks or a lift? With a lift it will go fast. 3-4 hours. On jacks, double that. I did it by myself over 2 nights worth, about 10-12 hours.

mysticalsnake

Established Member
Are you using jacks or a lift? With a lift it will go fast. 3-4 hours. On jacks, double that. I did it by myself over 2 nights worth, about 10-12 hours.

it'll be done on a lift. My buddy which we help each other put on all of our parts has access to his step-dad's lift at Kia lol.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Flat backing I usually get it done in about 4-6 hours with people that have done it before.

I did one with a first timer and showing him the ropes we were done in 8 or so.

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Me and a buddy did mine in about 6 hours, including a 26 spline input shaft install. Jack stands and hand tools.

Side note... don't go by anyone elses install times as a guide. Take your time and do it right the first time, and if you run into a block take a break and come back later.:beer:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Side note... don't go by anyone elses install times as a guide. Take your time and do it right the first time, and if you run into a block take a break and come back later.:beer:
+1 Thats what I did. Had a few beers and went at it later. Plus my back was killing me after dropping that T-56!

mysticalsnake

Established Member
thanks a lot guys...my car got rear-ended and in the shop now anyways (happened the day he and i were going to put the 4 lb. lower on and new tune) he was just saying that it was a huge PITA on his 97 Cobra he had but i also know that's a completely different trans than ours

fatal1

Established Member
Make sure you have about 2 feet of extensions for the top tranny bolts, and the starter bolts. The top bellhousing bolts are an MF'er too. Wear gloves for those.

exdeath

Established Member
I'd plan to start in the morning and be finished in time for lunch if you have access to a lift and a shop full of tools (including a mobile transmission lift), and two people who know what they are doing.

One person works on the cooling mod and flywheel/clutch while the other cracks the T-56 open on a bench and installs and shims the input shaft.

Air makes all the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread