DIY lower grille delete?

GCubersoldat

Established Member
Hey there guys, just recently installed my CDC performance grille which essentially deletes the upper grille, wanted to get the lower grille delete that Roush has but with a price tag of $300 its out of the question to pay so much for such a simple part...so heres my question.

Has anybody done a do-it-yourself lower grille delete on the 13-14's? it seems easy...just pop out the lower grille and with a sawzall cut off the plastic that holds the lower grille?

Nuar

Established Member
Yoy would think its a "simple part" but it actually isnt that simple. There are some braces, some reinforcements that come with that kit.
look into it.

GCubersoldat

Established Member
Yoy would think its a "simple part" but it actually isnt that simple. There are some braces, some reinforcements that come with that kit.
look into it.

Most people who buy the lower grille are N/A , so the intercooler brackets it comes with are useless...they should be sold separately, dont see any reason for forcing you to buy to the whole package

GCubersoldat

Established Member
Well after managing to get a glimpse of how the open lower grille would look after cutting the plastic that holds the grille WITHOUT the roush lower grille, I'll be attempting it this week and will post results. Best case scenario: save $300...worst case: already started install for roush lower grille lol.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
$300 for a grill delete is insane. **** roush for doing that shit.

There was someone that did a damn fine job doing a lower grill delete, hope he chimes in or someone that remembers that thread.

JpL4K3

Established Member
if you want it to look right pony up the 300 bucks for the Roush piece, or leave it alone. Hacking up the bumper doesn't look good at all iMO.

GCubersoldat

Established Member
if you want it to look right pony up the 300 bucks for the Roush piece, or leave it alone. Hacking up the bumper doesn't look good at all iMO.

When you buy the roush lower grille delete you have to hack up the bumper anyway in the exact same fashion lol its required to install it. Only difference between a DIY grille delete and the roush is that it comes with a black plastic piece similar to what the mach 1 grille deletes came with on the new edges but larger.

will be cutting it up tomorrow hopefully if i get enough time..or friday for sure

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I did it on my 14 car back in January. Search my name and you should find it. I'd search for you but I'm on my phone. I got some sheet metal and went to town with it. Turned out nice.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Oh don't knock the roush kit. It's got supports and they are there because the stock grill actually acts as a support for the lower part of the bumper. When you take it away.. Well you figure it out.

JpL4K3

Established Member
When you buy the roush lower grille delete you have to hack up the bumper anyway in the exact same fashion lol its required to install it. Only difference between a DIY grille delete and the roush is that it comes with a black plastic piece similar to what the mach 1 grille deletes came with on the new edges but larger.

will be cutting it up tomorrow hopefully if i get enough time..or friday for sure

Yeah I know, I have the Roush lower grille delete. The car will look half assed without the Roush piece once you hack up your bumper. The Roush piece makes it look clean.

You just spent ~$30k on a new car, and complain about a $300.00 part?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread