DIY: Matte Black Emblems w/ plastidip

Status
Not open for further replies.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Got off of work early today and decided to swing by home depot and pick up some plasti-dip. Grand total came out to about $6.39 if i remember correctly. You're going to need some basic tools to accomplish this but hindsight you might want to grab and exacto/hobby knife instead of the bulky razor knife. I had to go and find one to finish the project. Pictured below are the tools i used minus my fingernail. The fingernail and the small equipment screw driver were the best tools for this project. Onward.............................
IMAG0017.jpg

Tape up the emblem.... I used the small screw driver to push the excess underneath the emblem. There is a ton of room so getting the painters tape exact is no big deal. Example why is pictured below. All of that excess pushed up underneath the emblem. Little cutting was involved.
IMAG0018.jpg

Pictured below is the emblem after it has all been taped up.
IMAG0019.jpg

Now, most ricer DIY's don't have you tape up around the paint they just say you can peel it off the paint. Well i did not want to do that so i grabbed something to keep all of the plastidip off of my paint. Seeing as how no one reads newspapers anymore I had to improvise. This old calendar I had in my office did just fine. As you can see..........
IMAG0020.jpg

Coat #1 pictured below. Goes on pretty thick, but i wanted a nice clean finish so i opted for more coats.
IMAG0021.jpg

Pictured below is after 3 coats and ready to take off. Now, this is where experience and high sight also played a key role in this. Don't just go ripping off the tape. I actually had to redo an emblem because of this. Take your razorknife/xacto knife and lightly go around the edges of the emblem and peel very very carefully. All of it will come off if you go about it by just ripping the tape off. Also i would let it dry for over and hour atleast. First time I only let it dry for 30 minutes and that was an issue all in itself. Live and learn i guess.....
IMAG0022.jpg

Annnnnnnnndddd pictured below is the finished product.
IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0024-1.jpg

Lessons learned: I actually did this way to fast and should have waited 30+ minutes between coats. I opted for 15 minute intervals. Another lesson learned is cutting around the edge of the emblem with the exacto knife and letting it dry longer. I should have let it dry over night but i was kind of excited to see the finished product. Oh well, my screw ups are you guys' gains. Another lesson learned is ricers are way more talented at these little arts and crafts things involving vehicles. Their emblems are much better looking than mine as pictured on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread