DIY PDR of a motorcycle tank?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So, ive got a 2004 Yamaha FZ-1. Long story short, roomie accidentally knocked my bike over. Bars knocked a dent in the tank. Everything else is ok.

I bought a paintless dent pry tool and an aluminum bar PDR dent pop kit.

Im going to assume draining the fuel tank prior to using the metal pry tool would be a good idea? Should it be full?

Should i try the PDR glue kit first or the pry rod?

Anyone else pop a fuel tank dent?
f1d0288f8f11ddae98b5e3cb6795d081.jpg
6944823041af629ea98a9d6e974f27aa.jpg

Sent from my banana using the svtperformance.com mobile app

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I personally would have saved your money and paid a pro to do it because that's a decently complicated dent IMO. Otherwise, best of luck!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Not sure why this got moved to Pics and Videos. The dent appears to be in an accessible spot regarding the pry tool. Im going to attempt the PDR kit first, and if I can get a majority to pop back, Ill try the pry tool to even up the remaining depressions.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Step 1) Kick roommate out
Step 2) Have dent repaired professionally, because the hard lines have stretched the metal and shrinking it with limited experience is nay impossible.
Step 3) go pickup bike from guy that fixed it and enjoy a quiet home to yourself.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Nice! I have an 04 FZ6. I've had it since new, and it's got close to 75k on it. The FZs are great bikes...

As helacious as that dent is, I'd hestitate to show you the horrorshow that I ride. It's been washed three or four times in it's life. It might be cheaper to buy a wrecked FZ1 and swap tanks. Then you'll have parts for life.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
A professional will know what can and can't be done.. Most importantly, they will not make it worse, just less noticeable if not gone completely. I had 4 dents pulled out for $80. Why bother trying it yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread