Do American Cars Suck?

BluePastU

Established Member
Not so much suck, but put together shabbily (is that even a word?). I hear so much on these boards about Mustangs being put together so recklessly that I dont see how people even buy them. Sure they can fly....but what good is it if the thing can barely hold together. I have only driven one American car and it's my bro's '01 Chevy Monte Carlo SS and from my experience....the thing is pretty damn solid. The only problem that there was with it was a cover on one the tune button popped off. We never found it....searched the whole car and still have not found it, guess the boogie man got to it first. I know im going to test drive all my cars before purchasing one, but 10minutes in a car wont show the true face of the car. You might have it for a month before everything starts falling apart on you. So are these allegations true, or are they exxagerated (by either me or board members alike)? I know every car make has it's problems, but it seems like everyone rags on American cars (especially Mustangs) for being put together like poo.

Thanks for any and all replies...

jeffs04??

SHIFT_
Established Member
well personaly i believe we dont last as long as our european and japanese counterparts, but the repairs for an american car are far cheaper than the repairs to a foreign car.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Ford has spent a lot of money to increase the build quality and tightness of their latest vehicles. And I think chevy is going to do/is in the process of doing the very same thing.

pennywisegt

Audio & Video Production
Established Member
American technology is so far ahead of import technology, they can build it so cheaply and it will still sell. Pick between a RSX Type S or Mustang Cobra. Maybe the rear bumper on the svt sits crookid...and the RSX is built beautifully.....but who the hell cares?

Ling_650vette

Quagmires Apprentice
Established Member
Its different markets entirely. You dont compare an M5 or SL-600 to a Cobra or even a Corvette. The quality standards are just way to different.

As far as in class, i'd say the compact category its fairly even between domestic and import manufacturers. But once you hit the mid-range cars like the Altima, Camry, Maxima and things like that I personally give the japs a slight edge. Their cars seem to be well engineered and handle well in that category.

But to answer your question, I dont feel that american cars are built shabby, or put together shabby, i just think overall its different market niches. As more and more of the "euro" trend stuff hits, im sure it'll trickle down to the US market, but for now I couldnt care less.

Gino

So Long!
I think american cars are alright. when I look at how Australia has the Falcon and we have the Taurus though, I can't help but shake my head ever so slightly

:nonono:

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I've never owned a foriegn car so I cannot judge them, as far as american cars, I have had mostly Ford's and have had good luck with them. Alot of them were used but I have had a few brand new, 1 in particular a 97 Cobra that I had for 5 years and never had as much as a light bulb replaced, no squeaks, creaks or rattles whatsoever, it looked and ran like new right up until the day I sold it.

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
As the owner of three Japanese vehicles and one Ford F-150 Lightning, I can say that American car-building engineering and overall fit/finish are closing the gap with the Japanese/Germans.

The real test is over the 'long haul' of 50-, 75-, or even 100,000 miles. That (to me) is the true indication of how well a car is built. The truth of the matter is that Japanese/German cars (in general) last longer over higher miles than do American cars. My 3 Japanese cars have 156,000 , 127,000 , and 238,000 miles on them and are from 11 to 13 years old. Still pretty tight and solid.

Drive a Mercedes Benz or BMW (any model) and then follow that with a test drive of any comparable Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Chrysler product, and you'll see what I mean. The gap has closed...but it's still there. IMHO.

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Interior pieces suck! :cuss:

But I'd still take a Mustang over anything else in the same price range :beer:

PonyPower

Established Member
they dont suck, its just how they are put together, many of the hondas, toyotas, etc are built in the U.S. I think Ford is turning around, just look at the focus and the 04 F150.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I think a lot of it is how well they're treated too. I've been in many highmileage domestics that look ard run like new, then some others with 30,000 miles on them that run and look like shit. You can always tell who takes care of their car and not.

Most imports cost more than their american counterpart like focus and civic, or even corvette and M3 so people take more care in the more expensive car usually. Plus repairs for imports are far more expensive as someone else has already mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread