*Do Borla Stinger cat-backs "Drone" at cruising speeds?*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet '96 Cobra

Beat 'em with a stick!
Established Member
Im really close to pulling the trigger on a new Borla Stinger cat-back for my Cobra but would like some honest input from guy's here on whether or not you get the dreaded drone at cruising speeds, 1800-2200 rpms? Or at any rpms for that matter? I currently have a Magnaflow catted X pipe and a Mac cat-back and plan to keep my catted X pipe if that makes any difference over the off road X as far as drone goes?

I really love the sound of them outside of the car, I just dont want sacrifice it for drone at cruising speeds. :beer:

GodStang

Established Member
I only two that I can think of right off the top of my head that do drone are flowmasters and one of the Pypes line up that sound identical to flows. Borla, Bassani, Stainless works do not drone.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I have Stingers on my 03 GT (will be getting it for my Cobra soon), and it does not drone. At around 2000 rpm, it starts to get loud, but it is just the exhaust noise, not drone.

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
I only two that I can think of right off the top of my head that do drone are flowmasters and one of the Pypes line up that sound identical to flows. Borla, Bassani, Stainless works do not drone.

i call BS. on this.. i had the bassani SS catback on my car when i bought it, and it was the absolute worst!! i am running a off road pro chamber..
So i sold the bassani and bought a magnaflow catback. best sound inside the car, nice and quiet until WOT.. then i done my SRA swap, and now have a Flowmaster catback, and it is quieter inside the car, then the bassani was..

i dont want the flowmasters on my car lol, but only catback that will fit my panhard bar setup.. so i might be changing out some mufflers soon..

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
At around 2000 rpm, it starts to get loud, but it is just the exhaust noise, not drone.

Yes, they do drone. I think any loud muffler on a modular mustang drones and Stingers are aggressive. Exhaust preferences are subjective for each person.

I found a Magnaflow catback left my ears and head feeling a little numb after a long road trip while the Stingers did not. So, I believe I know what BlownSnake is talking about.

The Borla Stingers are great when driving alone. When a passenger is in the car that you want to have a conversation with, it's a bit distracting if they don't like muscle cars. But I have a convertible and they have their own unique sound characteristics. Loud with top up, perfect with it down.

SFVBlueMach

Established Member
I did have a drone on my 2003 GT with Pypes O/R X pipe and the stingers.

I switched to a SLP Catted Mid Pipe and the drone went away.
Right now I have the Stingers on my Mach w/ a MRT Catted H and there is no drone. :)
Yes, they do drone. I think any loud muffler on a modular mustang drones and Stingers are aggressive. Exhaust preferences are subjective for each person.

I found a Magnaflow catback left my ears and head feeling a little numb after a long road trip while the Stingers did not. So, I believe I know what BlownSnake is talking about.

The Borla Stingers are great when driving alone. When a passenger is in the car that you want to have a conversation with, it's a bit distracting if they don't like muscle cars. But I have a convertible and they have their own unique sound characteristics. Loud with top up, perfect with it down.

+1 Couldn't agree more on that

GodStang

Established Member
i call BS. on this.. i had the bassani SS catback on my car when i bought it, and it was the absolute worst!! i am running a off road pro chamber..
So i sold the bassani and bought a magnaflow catback. best sound inside the car, nice and quiet until WOT.. then i done my SRA swap, and now have a Flowmaster catback, and it is quieter inside the car, then the bassani was..

i dont want the flowmasters on my car lol, but only catback that will fit my panhard bar setup.. so i might be changing out some mufflers soon..

I have had a Bassani for 6 years and have zero drone. I have run and installed 90% of the exhausts out there and as far as Drone Bassani and Borla has the least if any my Bassani has zero. My Pypes on the car I have now are so bad if you hit the right rpm my ears will pop from the drone.

Last edited:

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
well there must have been something wrong with my bassani catback, cuz at 2k rpm it was so damn loud inside my car.. me and the wife hated it!! drove it for a 100 miles or so, and then i took that crap off.. i have these damn flowmasters on my car ATM, and they will be coming off soon.. but they are alot quieter then the bassani was..

GodStang

Established Member
well there must have been something wrong with my bassani catback, cuz at 2k rpm it was so damn loud inside my car.. me and the wife hated it!! drove it for a 100 miles or so, and then i took that crap off.. i have these damn flowmasters on my car ATM, and they will be coming off soon.. but they are alot quieter then the bassani was..

Bassani is known for cats and mufflers coming apart. My Bassani is so quiet that I am taking it off and doing a custom 3".

Jefe

Established Member
Finally got the Cobra on the freeway for a 3 hour cruise for some tuning a couple weeks ago. 2k RPM was kind of painful to the ears with my catted X and stinger mufflers. 2k is the sweet spot for most mufflers. Stereo and windows down worked for a while but on the way home I tried slowing down and that didnt help much so I took it up to 95mph and that did the trick :rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread