Do clutches slip when you're driving and mash it in an upper gear.

OneSlowCobra

JackStand Racing :(
Established Member
Ok just got my cobra for a steal. 12 grand with 90k and a clean title. The guy mentioned that it still has the stock clutch and he said hes been waiting for the day it starts slipping for a while but he said its not right now.

Well it has a moto blue pulley (not sure on size i think 2.71)

Well my question is can clutches slip when just driving and flooring it?

For example im getting either belt or clutch clip in 3rd or higher gears it seems.

im just cruising in 6th gear at 65 mph. No shifting. I mash the pedal and basically it whines like a mother ****er like usual and the rpms shoot up but i dont really go anywhere. It kind of eventually grips and goes but it takes like 10 seconds.

But when im in first and hammer it and shift into second it doesnt slip or anything.

Same thing for 3rd 4th and 5th and 6th gear though. Just mash it and it slips.

Is this a clutch or belt? I think clutches slip when you go from one gear to another not just when your driving and mash it in a gear.

He gave me a spare belt with it which kind of makes me think theres like a belt issue going on and he doesnt know how to fix it.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
That's the clutch.

To test if the clutch is still holding you get going about 50 or 60, put it in 6th gear and go WOT. If it revs up but the car does not speed up in proportion to the revs, the clutch is slipping.

If it holds and the car speeds up the same speed as the tach climbs, then it's good.

OneSlowCobra

Established Member
Thanks man. I was pretty sure. Seemed slim that it was the belt. Just odd it doesnt slip under WOT in 1st and 2nd.

89slowgt331

Established Member
That's the clutch.

To test if the clutch is still holding you get going about 50 or 60, put it in 6th gear and go WOT. If it revs up but the car does not speed up in proportion to the revs, the clutch is slipping.

If it holds and the car speeds up the same speed as the tach climbs, then it's good.

+1, time for a new clutch. wecome from another MI cobra owner, mines at 108k and running strong. read up and find a clutch that will hold any future power plans, also get a good throw out bearing. :burnout:

OneSlowCobra

Established Member
yeah im gonna get the ford racing TOB.

No super crazy future plans.

Going to make it look pretty, then its a port and 100 shot. Should be plenty for what i want since its just a street car and will never have anything but maybe a drag radial.

Blueline

Established Member
Thanks man. I was pretty sure. Seemed slim that it was the belt. Just odd it doesnt slip under WOT in 1st and 2nd.

The reason it doesnt slip in first or second gear is because they are a lower gear. Your trans is a torque multiplier. Your 1st and 2nd gear are low gears so they take less effort to turn. Just like when someone goes from 3.08 gears to 4.11. They say it takes off so much faster and easier. You didnt increase any HP or TQ, its just multiplied / applied at a different ratio. Same with your trans, this is why we have a 1st, 2nd etc... So by doing this test, being in 6th gear at 50mph, you are basically lugging the motor. Then you floor it, it takes alot of grab power to be able to control the power while it tries to spin that over drive gear. Does this make sense? Its been a long day and I dont know if im making any sense ha. Your clutch sounds likes its slipping, depending on your future goals I would research a new clutch. Good luck :beer:

Last edited:

OneSlowCobra

Established Member
Would i be ok with a spec stage 1 clutch? Im pullied, exhuast and tuned. I dont take it to the track and i could care less if it starts slipping in 20,000 miles or so. It says its rated at 420 ft tq. Would it last be a decent 20k?

cbr repsol

Established Member
Call me crazy but I love my stock clutch. No problems with 54k on the odometer.

you are my friend...driving a cobra with a aftermarket clutch is a total different animal. Ive driven many....i really like the mcloud , really nice and light petal effort.

Users who are viewing this thread