Do Cobras naturally sit a bit lower in front?

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
Because mind does. It does have the original springs and struts in it, and the springs still have the factor isolators. I'd say the front sits about 1" lower in the front. I don't really like that raked look. I'm considering trimming a little off the rear springs for a more level stance. I really didn't want to install lowering springs, don't want a harsh ride and don't feel like scraping the long tubes on everything. Just curious if there's something else I need to look at or if that's how it always was. I was thinking maybe new front struts? But I don't think that should have an effect on the the ride height should it?

Last edited:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
fromme said:
Because mind does. It does have the original springs and struts in it, and the springs still have the factor isolators. I'd say the front sits about 1" lower in the front. I don't really like that raked look. I'm considering trimming a little off the rear springs for a more level stance. I really didn't want to install lowering springs, don't want a harsh ride and don't feel like scraping the long tubes on everything. Just curious if there's something else I need to look at or if that's how it always was. I was thinking maybe new front struts? But I don't think that should have an effect on the the ride height should it?

Let me start of by saying hi to ya.

Now I have owned a few Fox bodies and they normally sit lower in the rear not the front.

Remember struts do not make the ride height its the springs :nono: , the struts take up the road imperfections and absorb them. With that being said, why do you want to change the struts ?

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Warn out struts will usually make the car sit higher in the front than normal. Struts tend to lock up and not let the weight settle the suspension.

Are you sure that a previous owner did not cut the factory front springs? A 93 Cobra is suppose to sit level.

badvenm

Established Member
Every 93 I ever seen including mine ( bought new but no longer own) has sit higher in the back. I think they are supposed to 3/4 of inch higher. As far as trimming your stock springs, I wouldn't. Anything that comes off that car will be obselete one day. If you buy good lowering springs your car won't ride any ruffer than it already does. I put Eibach's in mine and loved the way it looked and rode. Just don't forget to put the rubber isolater's back in. Or just get some stock Gt springs and cut them.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
Let me start of by saying hi to ya.

Now I have owned a few Fox bodies and they normally sit lower in the rear not the front.

Remember struts do not make the ride height its the springs :nono: , the struts take up the road imperfections and absorb them. With that being said, why do you want to change the struts ?

Only reason I want to change the struts is because the originals have 60K on them. I had to replace the rear shocks because one was leaking. I used the Bilstein shocks, just figured I'd put the same on the front to match.

I will have to take a closer look and make sure the fronts weren't cut, but I don't believe they were. I know the backs weren't cut. I'm going to refrain from cutting any of the springs actually.
I haven't taken a real close look of the front isolaters yet, maybe they're missing or worn. But at least I know now, that there is something not quite right, and I'll to find it and fix, or break down and get some lowering springs.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
One more question in case it comes to this. How do you all feel about the FMS B or C springs? They're pretty inexpensive and in stock at my local FMS dealer.

SVT1993

Established Member
fromme said:
One more question in case it comes to this. How do you all feel about the FMS B or C springs? They're pretty inexpensive and in stock at my local FMS dealer.

I had the FMS B springs on my SVO. I liked them a lot. Lowered the car a little and performed well. All the Fox bodies I've owned, the rear always was a little higher in the back. Even with the B springs, the rear rode a little higher.

Here's a picture of my SVO with the B springs.

~Ray~

Established Member
93 Cobras normaly sit lower in the back as they both have the same springs in front but the ones in back are different "softer" on the 93 cobras, there actualy 4 cylinder springs on the rear of the cobra but the fronts are the same.

mb84gt

stock 94 cobra
Established Member
I also recommend the ford "b" springs. They lower the car a bit, but the ride is not harsh. I have them on my 82 capri rs and my brother has them on his 82 gt. I think they lower the front about 7/8 of an inch and the rear about 1/2 an inch from stock height.

cobra93

Established Member
Mine tends to sit higher in the front... :-D

us41.jpg

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
That is pretty sweet! Ok one last question, then I'm done. If you really wanted to lower the back about a 1/2-3/4" and the two choices you have are to remove the spring isolators or cut a little off the dead coil of the rear spring, which would you do? Lowering springs aren't an option for me right now.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Removing the isolators will cause you to hear more squeaks and moans from the suspension. If I had to choose it would be to chop the rear springs a little

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
cobra186 said:
Removing the isolators will cause you to hear more squeaks and moans from the suspension. If I had to choose it would be to chop the rear springs a little

I would get new springs before cutting anything.

The front struts will lock up and the front will sit higher, but it will ride like there are 2x4's where the struts will be.

I would not cut anything if it was my ride, try buying new first.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
Don't take this the wrong way badboyspack, but why don't you read the whole thread before you reply.

Users who are viewing this thread