Do I have a bad shock???

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Does this look like I have a bad shock? Both wheels are in the rear and the lower one is on the drivers side. I can barely fit 2 fingers on the gap. Both tires are at 25 PSI
IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1102.JPG

jdt1970

Established Member
I would start by looking for something broken or bent. Shocks don't hold the car up the dampen out the bounce. The car is held up with the springs.

barspen

Established Member
jdt1790 is correct. The height is controlled by the spring. You may have a bad bushing or the spring is not set properly. But a blown stock may prevent the rebound and look lower.

You push down on the car end quickly and pay attention to the rebound. Also, try getting under the car and looking at the shock tube. If you see black oil all over it, it needs to be replaced. I've had 2 struts go bad in the last 6 years and both had oil all over the tube.

jdt1970

Established Member
That's a good point the shock could be holding the spring compressed if it is jammed.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I've seen a broken and rotated axle tube look like that. Have you done any hard launches recently? Agree with others, start by looking at your springs, then for split bushings and such.

Users who are viewing this thread