Do I need iat2 With turbo and would a gm map work ok?

Wannabe4v

Established Member
Ok so short story traded a friend my eaton swap for his bnib turbo kit and n/a stuff. I cut my iat 2 harness to swap it over on to his 01 so I have no sensor or harness. I'm trying to figure out if I will need this or can I just use a gm map and if so which one do you guys prefer and wiring info? Thanks

itSSlow98

Established Member
Not sure about the GM map but my car has the IAT2 in the 99/01 cobra intake manifold. That is the sensor the PCm uses to base timing off of should it need to pull timing. The IAT1 is basically worthless its just an informative sensor.

Wannabe4v

Established Member
Right on I'm just goin to tap the intake for a lightning iat sensor kurgan said I do not need a map sensor as long as I have a maf.

Sharpie281

Established Member
related topic ive always had my iat stuck in the end of the air filter. is this sensor even needed can i just unplug it and get rid of it? i have the iat2 in the 01 intake manifold.

itSSlow98

Established Member
related topic ive always had my iat stuck in the end of the air filter. is this sensor even needed can i just unplug it and get rid of it? i have the iat2 in the 01 intake manifold.

Iat1 is in the air filter and has no influence really on how the car runs. I don't see a point in deleting it. I like to see the change in iats personally especially to see how effective the inter cooler and meth injection are.

Sharpie281

Established Member
with my new turbo location i might not be able to squeeze a filter in. i might rig it up wile kurgan is tuning it but your saying after the fact i could unplug it with no ill effects?

itSSlow98

Established Member
with my new turbo location i might not be able to squeeze a filter in. i might rig it up wile kurgan is tuning it but your saying after the fact i could unplug it with no ill effects?

There should be no effects. You don't even need to put it in the filter. You can zip tie the sensor anywhere in the area of the turbo inlet. I've seen guys just lay them by the fender before.

Users who are viewing this thread