Do I need O2 extensions?

Gxsa140

Established Member
I asked this in the exhaust forum, but it doesn't seem as many people view that one. Does anybody know?
I just ordered the Magnaflow catted X for my '04 and was told that I may need O2 extenders. Is this true? Just wanted to check with everyone, and is Brother's Performance a good place to get them?

Gxsa140

Established Member
Thanks for the replies...........
Justin...Your car is the reason I went with the catted x to go along with the catback. Your car sounds really good.

Justin Blake

Kenne Bell Powered
Established Member
Gxsa140 said:
Thanks for the replies...........
Justin...Your car is the reason I went with the catted x to go along with the catback. Your car sounds really good.

Justin Blake

Kenne Bell Powered
Established Member
04TRCobra said:
can u just get them turned off via tune if you get a catless x-pipe???
Just about every tuner out there, amazon, rwtd, they all turn them off anyway that way they don't have to mess with it later. It won't affect any thing even if you are still running stock cats.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
To the best of my knowledge, all the rear sensors do is compare exhaust from the front 02 sensor to see if the cats are performing as designed. I don't believe they use them to control the factory tune.

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
O2 Extensions and MIL Eliminators are two seperate things. One pair of O2 Extensions are needed on 2004 Mustangs because the rear O2 sensor harness is not long enough to reach the rear O2 bungs on aftermarket mid-pipes. O2 Extensions do nothing to prevent the check engine light from turning on if you run an off-road exhaust.

MILs are electronic devices used to prevent the check engine light from turning on when running an off-road exhaust. 2004 Mustangs with off-road mid-pipes will need both O2 Extensions and MILS.

We have both items at Ninosport.com and they are the plug-in kind that do not require any cutting and splicing of the factory wiring harness. That may be important when taking your car in for service as the dealer will probably not like to see a cut factory harness.

Use the "SVTP.com" discount code to save an extra 5% when checking out!

-Nino

Last edited:

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
To the best of my knowledge, all the rear sensors do is compare exhaust from the front 02 sensor to see if the cats are performing as designed. I don't believe they use them to control the factory tune.

That is correct. The rears are more like catalyst converter monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread