Do i need to go back to stock for oil change

kobra

Established Member
This maybe a stupid question but i take my car to the dealer for my oil changes and i was wondering if i go in for oil change and they open my hood and see my pulley cover off and my little 2.8 and aux idler are they gonna yank my warranty then and there ??Or do i just have to worry about a warranty rep lookin at it ?Seems like alot of work for a simple oil change to go back stock every 3000 miles.

Juiced-03

Established Member
If they are your servicing dealer (for warranty work) I would at least take the idler off and throw the pulley cover on. It takes 15 minutes at most. Your car may draw alot of attention in the shop and someone may remember your mods when you need work. No need to worry about exhaust or your tune, but just throw the pulley cover back on and dont worry about it. Usually a young guy will do the oil changes and he wont have anything to do with the warranty service. Or you could just do your oil yourself and know it was done right without any fears!

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Why have them change your oil?? Asking for trouble even if you don't have mods. Do it yourself so you know it gets done right.

kobra

Established Member
yeah i guess i could do my own oil change its just a pain in the ass getting the used oil disposed of and keeping receipts for the oil and filter not to mention i dont get the dealers stamp in my service book.Oh well small price to pay for all that hp

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
unnecessary time spent at dealer = bad op, I would definately try to change my own oil man, I took my car in for a free change once and while waiting saw it zoom away and not come back for a while. Came back with some punk shop apprentice telling me how nice it was... Just not worth the headache and risk of some young punk not doing it right IMO.

Frederick Brown

Established Member
Kobra, go someplace else for your oil and filter, make sure you get a receipt with the date and mileage Ford will accept receipts if you have a problem. Fred.

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
Originally posted by 99cobrablack
Why have them change your oil?? Asking for trouble even if you don't have mods. Do it yourself so you know it gets done right.

Ditto. Just do it yourself, why risk those a$$holes joy riding or running your car thru a brush car wash...

Just my .02

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by 03yllwguy
unnecessary time spent at dealer = bad op, I would definately try to change my own oil man, I took my car in for a free change once and while waiting saw it zoom away and not come back for a while. Came back with some punk shop apprentice telling me how nice it was... Just not worth the headache and risk of some young punk not doing it right IMO.

I would have beat his ass on the spot, then I'd go and bitch out the service advisor.

Back on topic: Dude why would you take your car to the dealer if you have all of those mods? Do it yourself or take it somewhere else.

FKing1

Established Member
Another option is to buy the oil and go to one of the quick lube shops or use their oil . They will charge for yours but you avoid a Dealer hassle.
Fred K.

71stang99

Established Member
I have had the oil changed at two different dealers and have not had an issue yet, neither time was with the pully cover off however everything else was there, no one said anything and if they did there would have been an issue since its non warrenty work

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
If you can't, or don't want to change your own oil, you should not worry about what happens to your car. You have too much moneyto worry about the warrenty or you should buy a civic.

Unless you know the dealer, have a raport with them, know they are competent and do good work, I would avoid the dealer at all cost.
They are ripoff kings that do shitty work, really.

me not like

my .02

Ken

Rudy

Twin screwed
Established Member
When I had my 98 cobra, I did all the oil changes and never kept my reciepts. And I had my trans replaced under warranty with no problems. and some other small things like sunvisor. I dont think you need to save your reciepts. and I going to do the same with my 03 cobra, do my own, next month I am getting my pulley installed, there goes(bye bye) my warranty. you play you pay

Users who are viewing this thread