Do LEOs have to follow traffic laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroFear

Banned
When not on the way to a crime/going after a suspect, do LEOs have to follow traffic laws? Can they be reported for breaking traffic laws?

I have been pulled over in my town due to the car I drive so many times I should have won an award. Only ticketed twice ( lucky ). I always see the police driving like everyone else ( aka fast ) , not using there blinker, right on reds where you cant, etc etc. All minor stuff, but still ticket-worthy. I thought they are supposed to set an example for everyone else?

Its really annoying seeing them doing the stuff they pull me over for, esp when its right after writing the ticket.

ZChaos0026

Established Member
Yes, but how do you know that they arent going to a crime??? Just because they dont have their lights and sirens on, doesnt mean they arent going to a call

DanTheMan18

Established Member
How do you know whether they're after someone or not, or heading to a scene? They don't always flip on the lights when they're on their way.

I'm sure it was strictly because of the car you drive, right?. Speaking of which, what do you drive? What's done to it that gets pulled over? Or what were you doing to get yourself pulled over?

All minor stuff but still ticket worthy? Isn't that at the discretion of the LEO? You said yourself that you've been pulled over X amount of times, and only been ticketed twice. I'm sure on more than two occasions, you were doing something "ticket worthy" or had something "ticket worthy" done to your car.

If it bothers you that much, report them. I can only imagine how much weight a call from a person complaining about an officer forgetting to signal after said officer just ticketed said person for a violation would hold.

It seems like every thread you create is about you complaining about something. Talk about annoying.

jshen

Established Member

Last edited:

nighthawk355x

Banned
*removed by moderator* Do NOT circumvent the obscenity filter.

Last edited:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
Im sure LEOs, don't use their signal on occassion or roll a stop sign etc, mayb more often than not, but they are 99% responsible drivers overall. Not to mention their job is dangerous and depending on where they patrol they could be shot at. I say they deserve the right to be a little careless to the nit picky stuff. Im sure for this thread starter, it was one of the select few bad eggs from the bunch that drive wrecklessly. The only time I've ever seen a cop drive wrecklessly was when he was off duty. Whatever, just be glad you don't have their job. Some local LEOs from small towns have pissed me off with nit picky stuff, like 3-5 mph over the speed limit, and even wrote me up for it. But, I've had even state troopers let me go for the 3-5 as well. Just remember, all in all, they have to do their job, and be glad it's not you.

ZeroFear

Banned
*Removed by moderator

Stuff like this is what I'm talking about. I've been pulled over for failure to use signals, right on red, 10mph over on speed trap roads, and all that other petty stuff. When I drive my DD, I never get bothered, ever..

nighthawk355x

Banned
Stuff like this is what I'm talking about. I've been pulled over for failure to use signals, right on red, 10mph over on speed trap roads, and all that other petty stuff. When I drive my DD, I never get bothered, ever..

***Removed by Moderator***

Last edited by a moderator:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It all boils down to the car. No matter what you do when you're in a sports car you're a target, despite what any LEO will tell you. They DO discriminate. Make a mistake in a corolla, they'll let you slide. Do the same thing in a mustang/f-body/vette/etc...YOU'RE SCREWED.

All I can figure is maybe they're thinking, if you're in a Corolla you probably didn't mean to, but in one of the above mentioned...well, you probably did. :-D

You have no clue!! I drive a bright red C6 and yet dont get pulled over in it.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
When it comes down to it LEOs have more to lose/liability if something goes wrong than John Q Public.... You roll through a red light and hit someone you get a ticket.... he rolls through a red light even with his lights on and hits someone and he maybe looking for a new job.

If you're not an LEO you probably won't get it. Don't try to pick apart what they do, just be happy they do what they do!!

nighthawk355x

Banned
You have no clue!! I drive a bright red C6 and yet dont get pulled over in it.

'fraid I DO have a clue there bud. Vette's are primarily driven by men ages 50+, who LEO's don't tend to pay as much attention to. I can count on 1 hand the times I see Vettes doing anything but the speed limit. Go out in a modded f-body or mustang and see what happens. You won't even need to do anything, you'll be followed just because.

I have enough friends with them to know for a fact. It is how it is.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
'fraid I DO have a clue there bud. Vette's are primarily driven by men ages 50+, who LEO's don't tend to pay as much attention to. I can count on 1 hand the times I see Vettes doing anything but the speed limit. Go out in a modded f-body or mustang and see what happens. You won't even need to do anything, you'll be followed just because.

I guess the real question here is...

FordSVTFan...do you pay attention to yourself? :banana:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member

That's the dumbest thing posted this week. Do all your friends have their ages posted on the back of their cars to assist the LEO's so they don't stop all the mature muscle car lovers? The reason your buddies get stopped is they draw attention to themselves through the way they drive; not what they drive.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Police probably target the Mustang, F-Body, and import crowd more than a vette owner cause we are more likely to be more stupid and reckless when driving at speeds. They probably trail behind us as well knowing that we might act stupid if they were not noticed.

There is a simple cure for this. If you don't like the attention you get for driving a sports car then get something else. If you don't mind or like the attention, start saving some money on the side and call it the "I was stupid" account.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I generally obey traffic laws except for driving above the speed limit on highways when going on long trips.
I have been pulled over in my Mustang driving the speed limit more times than I have in the last 24 years of driving combined.
I"m always polite and courteous even if I receive a ticket since I most likely deserved it but it gets a bit old being pulled over 2 times in an evening in a major city for no reason at all other than a paperwork and vin check.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

I drove my highly modded bright red 87 mustang GT convertible without any problems except for no front plate in NJ. What is your explanation now?

Let's not forget I am a L.E.O., and I pull over offenders in cars, it has nothing to do with the car.

I know "some of your best friends are cops," right?? :rolleyes:

I am willing bet you are under

Common

Established Member
It all boils down to the car. No matter what you do when you're in a sports car you're a target, despite what any LEO will tell you. They DO discriminate. Make a mistake in a corolla, they'll let you slide. Do the same thing in a mustang/f-body/vette/etc...YOU'RE SCREWED.

All I can figure is maybe they're thinking, if you're in a Corolla you probably didn't mean to, but in one of the above mentioned...well, you probably did. :-D

Bullshit. Most don't even wtf some of these "Fast" cars are.

They go by who gives them a reason, PC for a stop, loud ass cars, tints, retarded RAPER like HID's that you can see Jesus with and other bs

All of the above need to be stopped and ticketed, just for doing a mod on a car that WILL for sure get you some neg attention THEN bitch about it when they get pulled over "I got pulled over just for looking fast or standing out":kaboom:

WVFord

Established Member
I have been driving Mustangs since July 01, a street rod from July 91 to June 07 and never have been stopped for anything. hmmmmmm.

from an earlier post-- 10mph over on a speed trap road---

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
I've driven mustangs since i was 19, I've been stopped twice in my driving history.. I drive a bright red Cobra, and I've been stopped ONCE in it..

it's the operator, not the car. Quit acting like a fool, and you disperse negative attention. a redimentary, simplistic concept many fail to correlate.

the nature of the work, makes it neccessary to cirumvent the law if it is in the discharge of their duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread