Do vendor's products carry warranties?

2003 Cobra

Established Member
With the Billetflow pulley issue, I have become concerned about aftermarket product warranties. The blower idler pulley flying around the engine compartment uncontrolled can do some serious damage to our cars. Will Billetflow or the vendor cover the consequential damages caused by the product or will they say that liability is limited to replacement of the product only or a refund? Do the manufacturers and vendors carry product liability insurance that will pay our claims in the event of a problem?

I handled contract work at Bendix brakes back in the 80's and when we had projects with companies, we had to supply them with proof of our insurance which covered every conceivable problem in the event our product or a product we used caused any damage. i.e., a brake rivet fails on our brake pad and gets caught in the caliper assembly therefore causing the brakes to work improperly which causes a traffic accident.

Does anyone know the answer?

Last edited:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
be patient, you can't expect the venders to check the the forum every hour. Judging by what I have seen, if their product malfunctions when it obviously shouldn't, and the customer was using the product for what it was intended, they almost always replace for no cost. But if their product causes other major engine damage, then I do not know if they would cover it.

OverToad

Established Member
Buyer beware.

These vendors will do whatever they can to replace a faulty item, but in most cases, that's it.

Who's to say that a part wasn't damaged during shipping? Or that the customer dropped it on the concrete floor before installing it? Or that they did something else during install?

For the most part, these are small companies engineering parts for cars that haven't even been out a year yet. They do not have significant testing, and have no track record to fall back on.

If someone is not comfortable taking this risk, then they do not need to be purchasing these parts.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Buyer beware.

maoun

Established Member
i think they'll do everything they can to avoid lawsuits, etc....

worst case scenario, there's always court.....however unfortunate

i trust these companies...but, as with everything, you take a risk

m.

2003 Cobra

Established Member
Come on vendors and manufacturers, step up to the plate. Let's hear what the truth is.

Ford gives us a warranty on our cars. Do you give warranties and to what extent? Is there product liability insurance associated to the aftermarket parts we spend our hard earned money on or are we installing uninsured time bomb parts in our beloved cars? Are we covered for consequential damages in the event an aftermarket part fails as a result of a manufacturing problem?

I would like to have the confidence of knowing that someone is fully standing behind the product I purchase and install in my pride and joy.

OverToad

Established Member
Here's your answer, word for word, copied verbatim.

This is from the BilletFlow sheet included with each TB sold. Personally, I would have expected a better written document from a lawyer, but I'm not paying his way to Hawaii, so it's of no consequence to me........

QUOTE:

LIMITED WARRANTY AND LIABILITY AGREEMENT

The foregoing is a limited warranty and is the only warranty made by Billetflow. Billetflow makes, and the customer receives, no other warranty either expressed or implied; All warrantied of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpase are expressly exlcluded. Billetflow shall have no liability with respect to it's obligations under this agreement for consequential, exemplary or incidental damages including, but not limited to, lost profits eve if the form of the claim, Billetflow's liability for any damages to the customer or any other party shall in no event exceed the amount paid by the customer for such a product. this stated expressed warranty is in lieu of all liabilities or obligations of Billetflow for damages arising out of or in connection with the delivery use or performance of the product.

Billetflow is a Michigan coporation and warrants that, at the time of delivery of the product, and for a period of ninety (90) days thereafter, that the product shall be free of defects in parts or workmanship which could substantially affect the products performance and that the product will conform to the written specifications and description of the product provided to the customer.

The extend of billetflow's liability under this warranty shall be limited to the prompt correction or replacement, at Billetflow's option and at no expense to the customer other than return shipment, or any defective part of the product determined to be necessary by Billetflow. This only applies if written notice of the claimed defect, prior to the expiration of the warranty period.

This warranty shall not apply if (1) the product, or any part thereof, is not used in accordance with the operating parameters specified by Billetflow; (2) the product, or any part thereof, is disassembled, altered, modified, or converted for any other use than that intended by Billetflow without prior written approval from Billetflow, (3) the product is damaged or rendered unserviceable due to negligence, vandalism, theft, fire, debris, or other peril, malfunction of equipment, or by any cause within the customer's, control.

*phew* I am not liable for any mispellings, since I only intended on typing this statement once, and without giving time for corrections.

Now, you'll find that this is A-typical of every warranty out there. However, what you'll find from Billetflow and Amazon Racing is a willingness to go above and beyond this when help or assistance is required. I have been witness to several occasions where Doug or Rick have gone out of their way to assist customers.

Now if your hoping that, when your engine blows because of a brand new product, you'll be able to make a company buy you a $14k engine, your in for a rude awakening.

It's late, and my memory of the Latin term has left me (I'm sure someone will fill it while I'm zonked out late in the morning), but the translation is "Let the buyer beware." If your going to purchase something, you better be sure you want it in your car, and are willing to live with the consequences. I've had an issue with both my DenseCharger, and with my BF TB. However, I walked in with both eyes open, knowing I was taking a chance. Both products had issues, but both issues have been taken care of.

I'll say it again: If your not willing to accept the risks that go along with installing aftermarket performance products, then modifying your Cobra with these parts isn't for you. It's not my intention to insult or sound aggressive. I'm simply stating the truth which is in your best interest.

What do you really expect these vendors to come out and say????

"We understand your concern. However, we are not going to be held responsible for your blown engine." :nonono: How would that look? They are in the business to sell things, and PR is their biggest tool to reach us. What your trying to get them to say is neither a reality, or feasible.

It's my personal opinion that you must either be 100% committed to the consequences of these products, or be happy with what Ford produced for you (er........yeah). There's just too many cases of people sueing other people in this world, when they should have made better decisions. Trying to get these vendors to pay for a damaged engine when it was our own hand that did the install just doesn't make sense. they are obligated to take care of the damaged part, and that's it. Anything else they do is a favor to the customers.

I know it's hard to swallow, but that's life :read:

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
I feel if a product fails or if it does not perform as stated it should be replaced, repaired. I can't speak for all my MFG's on this but if they want to sell a product through Amazon Racing it has to work to the customer's satisfaction.
I feel as a vendor I have a responsibility to my customers to choose MFG's that produce high qaulity parts at a competitive price and that really stand behind there products. This is good for my customers and for me. If I have an MFG that does not stand behind there products or does not go out of there way to keep my customers happy they are gone.
If I install a part on a customers car I stand behind my work 100%. If a customer does not install a part correctly or damages the part 99% of the vendors end up replacing the part for them. It is not fare for the vendors to do this but it keeps good customer relations and keeps everybody happy.
We all know the when adding a performance part to your car may void your warranty but we take the chance anyway for the added performance. We also know if we added a bunch of hp that other parts on the car could fail.

On the billet flow issue once I seen this I contacted my customer and made sure his car was drivable first of all and offered him a stealth Idler and a new coolent pipe till doug gets back from his honeymoon and figures out what he wants to do. Talking to Doug's dad they are fixing the problem now. Just send the billet idlers back to them and they will do the fix or replace it. The stealth idlers are fine.

If for any reason there is a problem with any of my products I sell call us. To date all my MFGs have stood behind there products except for a few and I don't sell there products any more.

Rick

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I agree with overtoad. What do you expect 2003 cobra? These places make aftermarket parts for our cars, its your job to search around and find the product that you think will work best.

2003 Cobra

Established Member
When a company gives me a lifetime warranty along with a written statement that they will also cover consequential damages caused by the product, I feel good. When they give me their insurance company's name and policy number covering the item for product liability, I feel even better. I called Fumoto and even spoke to one of their executives. He gave me their insurance company's name and policy number covering the item for product liability.

Click on this link and read the warranty as it is interesting.
http://www.fumotovalve.com/

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I put the Fumoto valve in both my Cobra and my new Honda CRV. They both use the same exact valve, F-106. So far the valves work great and makes for an easy clean oil change. The valve in the Cobra does not sit below the surface of the oil pan so I'm not worried about bottoming out and damaging the valve. With a written lifetime warranty that covers any consequential damages if the valve fails, I feel confident, and have a peace of mind about this mod.

Read the Fumoto valve warranty, it is impressive
http://www.fumotovalve.com/

dougwg

Established Member
2003 Cobra

You’re also comparing a part that gets used 1 time about every 3,000 miles to parts that get used every time you start your car.

Will Ford give you a Lifetime Warranty on Your car?

Better yet see if you can get a Lifetime Warranty on a clutch, tires, transmission, engine, seats or any thing else that may or may not wear out over time.

I'm not really sure what you’re asking 2003 Cobra.:shrug:

Do you have any of my products?

Have any of my products that you have purchased, failed?

or

Are you looking at purchasing Products that I make? :beer:

As far as our Idlers "flying around the engine compartment uncontrolled"; they never did. They were still trapped on the Bracket. Did it hit the coolant pipe, yes, and we offered to replace it free of charge but were not taken up on the offer. :)

Also there is no need for you to be concerned about this as we have added retaining screws to the Idlers to insure this does not happen again. And they look C00L as $hit :thumbsup:

I will quote Toad as he said it better then I could "It's not my intention to insult or sound aggressive."... I'm just not sure where you're coming from.

2003 Cobra

Established Member
Product liability insurance is very important.

Just as drivers should carry auto insurance, manufacturers should carry product liability insurance.

We can purchase uninsured motor vehicle insurance to protect us from irresponsible drivers but unfortunately we can't purchase uninsured product liability insurance to protect us from the uncertainty of aftermarket parts we put on our prized vehicles.

Protecting others is very important and insurance is one of the best protections available.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad

It's late, and my memory of the Latin term has left me (I'm sure someone will fill it while I'm zonked out late in the morning), but the translation is "Let the buyer beware."

"Caveat Emptor"

2003 Cobra

Established Member
Steeda has a lifetime warranty on their caster/camber plates.

Steeda Caster Camber Plates
1994-2002 Caster Camber Plates
$169.95

1990-1993 Caster Camber Plates
$169.95
1979-1989 Caster Camber Plates
$169.95

Steeda's Caster Camber plates allow total adjustment of caster and camber for maximum handling. Durable nickel plated construction and serviceable strut mount bearings provide precise alignments and extra long life. Perfectly balance caster for straight tracking and camber dwell for tight cornering.

Lifetime warranty on caster camber plates
Allows for independant setting of left & right
Direct bolt-in - No modifications required
1/2 the weight of other plates
Complete adjustment of caster and camber for better
alignment (caster is not adjustable from the factory)
Universal plates - perfect for street & race!
Finally, correct camber to eliminate excessive tire wear
Dial in more negative camber for better cornering
Reduce camber for less rolling resistance on drag cars

Add up to 2° more positive caster
Straighter tracking and better high speed stability
Better steering response, quicker turn in
Less nose dive under braking
Precision spherical bearing with stainless steel race
Holds precise alignment in ALL driving conditions
Teflon lined bearing never needs lubrication
Bearing is replaceable
Less friction than stock bushings
Offset bushings allow custom adjustment of strut height
Increase suspension travel on lowered vehicles
Increase strut extension travel for more traction on drag race cars
No interference with hoods or strut tower braces (a common problem with some other brands)
TIG welded and nickel plated for strength and durability
Steeda's team will provide you with all the necessary specs for your application (street or track) with your purchase.
© 2002 STEEDA AUTOSPORTS INC. All Rights Reserved. 1351 NW Steeda Way Pompano Beach, Florida 33069

Steeda Bumpsteer Kit
improves suspension geometry
on your Mustangs

Steeda Aluminum Upper Rear Control Arms

Steeda Heavy Duty
Upper Rear Control Arms

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
They also have this:

WARRANTY
Your complete satisfaction is our primary goal. All parts and services
offered by Steeda Autosports have undergone extensive in-house testing and evaluation to insure the highest level of quality and performance and are guaranteed to be free from material or manufacturing defects when you receive them. However, the industry standard is no parts warranty. Competition parts are sold "as is" without any warranty whatsoever. Implied warranties, including warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, are excluded. The entire risk as to quality and performance of such parts is with the buyer. Should such parts prove defective following their purchase, the buyer and not the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repair. Any attempted repair or alteration of any part will immediately void the warranty.

So yea, there's a warranty, but there's not.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
ok, so. . . you searched around and found a part with a lifetime warranty. . . how can you put every car part on the market in the same category? There's also a big difference between car parts that move and parts that don't move.

So the oil valve has a lifetime warranty, big deal. I would hope that something that simple would be able to function for the life of the vehicle.

I don't want to sound argumentative, but you keep bringing up this old thread with the same comments. I just don't know what you expect :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread