DO WE NEED THE MAF SCREEN

cobrablue

Established Member
i know on many gm cars if the screen was removed the car would idle like crap. the screen reduces the turbulance of the air. did anyone find that by reinstalling the screen with their cold air improved their idling. lets get some input.:shrug:

Lobo

Established Member
Tear it out!

cobrablue,

I cut out the screen a few weeks ago (my first mod actually :) ) since some dumbass told me it was the silencer everybody was talking about... lol :rollseyes

Anyways, my butt noticed an increase in performance and the oh-so-lovely blower whine is much more noticeable, too. Same goes for the exhaust sound. It really seemed to help the engine breathe a LOT better, even with the stock air filter in.

Absolutely NO problems in idle, it felt like it was gonna stall first in idle when I fired it up directly after the mod, but it was probably only the chip adjusting to the unexpected amount of fresh air... no problems ever since and it has been about 2 weeks now.

I cut the screen cross-wise with some side-cutters and tore out the remaining mesh with needle-nose pliers, worked like a charm. Just be careful to remove it all as to avoid sucking in remaining pieces of wire.

I actually thought everybody and their granny had done that already, but oh well... might have to name it "Lobo MAF Screen Mod" now... lol ;-)

Happy modding! :-D

Lobo

Cobra'03

Established Member
It is possible that the screen removal provides a little more flow, but hard to believe it is night and day. I doubt it can materially affect the idle as was mentioned for the Corvette.

It is there to keep material from entering the intake. With the stock paper filter, any fracture of the media can allow the treated paper to enter the intake, or allow insects or animals (mice and other rodents) to do some exploring. This is far more common than people think, esp getting into the heater box and chewing up wiring harnesses, which is a nightmare to correct.

If you use an aftermarket filter that has a media between metal or plastic mesh, this is much less likely - examples are the Advanced Flow Engineering filters, Holley Track Flows, and K&N's.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
I tried it both ways and didn't see much difference. I guess I should put it back in???

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Well, whatever you do don't chop it up like above. Just undo the four bolts holding the airfilter backing plate to the MAF and the screen pops right out (you'll need a little gasket material or some RTV to take it's place). That way you can replace it if needed, without the hassle of a dealer trip for a replacement screen. The screen protects both the motor and the MAF sample tube electronics.

I had mine in and out in both the 99 Cobra and new 03 and didn't notice much of a difference. i believe the physical arrangement of the stock filter housing and MAF sample tube being on the same centerline corrects any turbulance in the stock setup.

Different story with the UPR cold air kit; it idled like crap until i put the screen back in which all but eliminated the idle surge and bucking. Interestingly, I did feel a noticable difference after the screen went back in. I'm guessing this is because our cars are pig rich and the turbulance without the screen may have leaned things about a bit- i doubt it was CFM-related.

KingKobra

Established Member
wow, I would imagine that your 3yr/36,000 mile warranty would be in jeopardy by messing with the MAF, eh? Let me know if you guys are aware this mod voiding warranty. THanks! :beer:

ho779

Established Member
Originally posted by KingKobra
wow, I would imagine that your 3yr/36,000 mile warranty would be in jeopardy by messing with the MAF, eh? Let me know if you guys are aware this mod voiding warranty. THanks! :beer:

The only way it might void a warantee, imo, is if it caused damage elsewhere, and they could blame that mod for causing it. But it would not void the whole warantee, only the specific circumstance calling for warantee work...correct me if I am wrong.

46stang

Established Member
i tried it as well, but i did it a little diferent way! I took the screen out, peeled the rubber back from the screen and gently used a raiser blade to cut the little pieces holding the rubber to the screen. once i went all the way around i reinstalled the rubber, and bam no more screen, just a rubber seal! Also if you want to reinstall the screen, it will slip right back onto the seal and put the whole thing back in! I probably wouldnt use silicone only because the blower has alot of suction and if a piece of silicone were to come loose and go into the blower, I'm not sure what would happen?
I didn't notice a big diff. sotp, so the screen is back in on mine, but i may try again after i get a cai kit!
Leon

Users who are viewing this thread