Do you ever get the urge to just pick up and move far away?

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I've had the urge too recently. In order to move forward in my career, it looks like I will need to move to another area. However, I have kids and a mortgage, so I've got to do what is best for my kids and wife. Plus, the housing market sucks, so unless I can find something where I can afford to carry the mortgage here while living somewhere else, I'm stuck.

I will say this: I've lived in the midwest and west coast. If you are not tied down by family, mortgage, etc, definitely go for it. It will make you a better person and give you perspective on life, work, and what you really want to make of yourself. I think by living in different places you experience more and become a more well-rounded person. Plus, it is always fun to experience something new (for most people).

bumplime

Established Member
Ive often thought of packing up my family and moving somewhere new. Ive spent time in Wyoming, Montana, South carolina, Georgia, and California. There are things Id enjoy going back to in each state but in the end I love living here in good ol rainy Oregon.

I live 30 minutes from the beach, an hour when there is traffic. I can be in the mountians within 20 minutes of my house. Plenty of rivers to fish or boat in, mountains for skiing, if I need to "get out" Portland is only 1-1.5 hrs away. Ive got a great drag strip and road course within driving, etc...............I always end up being thankful that Ive kept my feet in this state.
I live in a samll city, not far from a medium sized city with plent of problems, plenyt to do and I still get to experience the issues of "big cities" like drive by shootings" Overcrowding, illegal immigrants, businesses closing all of it.
Only downside for me is the weather at times. Rain does get old after awhile, but I dont have to worry much about Hurricanes ( did in S. Carolina), Earthquakes( not often enough), wild fires ( happen but not close to my home), floods ( again not often and not close to my home).

Do it while you can. There is a great music scene in Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, etc. Im sure you can find soomething to make you happy or at least appreciate home more.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I spent 30 years in Iowa, and got tired of it. Started applying for government jobs in Austin and got one. Within 30 days, moved 1200 miles across the country and never looked back.

s_x_i

Established Member
I emigrated when I was 19... it was a pretty decent career move to say the least, but the problem with upping sticks and blowing out the door is all the people you love that you leave behind.

GM Nitemare

Established Member
You think your urge to move is strong now. Wait until you get into your late 40's early 50's. Hell, I want to move out of my town everyday but can't(won't) cause I got it way too easy. We travel at least 5 times a year on vacation. So it's not too bad. But the winter here in Alberta sucks. It's cold at least 7 months out of the year.

16kOrBust

Established Member
i wouldnt mind Australia, if im to leave im getting out of here for good

I mentioned the packing up and moving thing to my girlfriend during lunch today and the first words out of her mouth were, "How about Australia?"

Considering it's number one on my list of places to visit (also one of the most expensive since flights are typically $1,500-$2,000 round trip), I'm guessing we're gonna have to look into a vacation down there sometime soon to check it out.

You think your urge to move is strong now. Wait until you get into your late 40's early 50's. Hell, I want to move out of my town everyday but can't(won't) cause I got it way too easy. We travel at least 5 times a year on vacation. So it's not too bad. But the winter here in Alberta sucks. It's cold at least 7 months out of the year.

I went to Calgary last year to visit someone and while it was very nice (and Banff was amazing), I just couldn't see myself living up there where it's so cold for so much of the year. I'd definitely go back to visit, though!

Last edited:

only a gt

Established Member
Everyday. The only problem is I have no idea what I want to do career-wise. I moved around a fair amount in the Corps, and it makes me realize that much more how much I hate CT. Like many others have said, the only reason I'm here is because of my job. I did one semester of college after I got out of the Marines, but stopped because I was taking classes just so I could make everyone that hounded me about going to school happy. Now I feel like every day that goes by is being wasted while I sit here trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. I've tried the DANTES and CLEPS tests that are supposed to figure out what a person is suited for, but they were basically useless. :shrug:

Last edited:

chimpin

Established Member
I lived in the Bay Area all of my life. It's a great place to be, great weather, lots of entertainment and food, different people and different cultures.

I did feel like I needed a change, I moved out to the country and am going to a small state school here (country compared to the Bay Area). People don't know what to do with themselves if they don't have a group of friends established. There isn't a lot of entertainment. The weather sucks. There's no sense of originality or depth to people.

I will move back home or to the San Diego/ Oceanside area after college. I will appreciate it more now that I've been somewhere I didn't enjoy. The experience I have is one that I never would have gotten if I didn't move.

I would encourage you to find your new job in the city you want to be in.
It sounds like you might have even more regret later if you don't find out what else you can experience in life. There isn't a good reason to miss out on what may make you really happy.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Yep, when I was 20 I moved from Montana to Seattle. I was there for over a year and hated it the whole time. I missed Montana like crazy (which I never thought would happen) and moved home after about a year and a half in Washington.

I always bitched about Montana and wanted to live in a big city. It was a good experience for me but I will never leave this area again.

Coiled03

Established Member
I mentioned the packing up and moving thing to my girlfriend during lunch today and the first words out of her mouth were, "How about Australia?"

Considering it's number one on my list of places to visit (also one of the most expensive since flights are typically $1,500-$2,000 round trip), I'm guessing we're gonna have to look into a vacation down there sometime soon to check it out.

We've considered moving to Australia pretty seriously. I've visited there several times, now, and we spent almost 3 weeks there for our honeymoon. Considering the direction this country is headed, moving to Australia is a tempting proposition. The only thing stopping me is the old addage "the grass isn't always greener......". I haven't spent enough time there to know what kind of issues they have, so it's hard to take the risk.

PureStang

Established Member
I like where I am in Southeastern PA. I can drive 2 hours south to Baltimore, 40 mins east to Philadelphia, 3 hours north to NYC, 2 hours from the beach, 30 mins north for the mountains, and i live in a pretty rural part of my area (i live next to about 7 amish farms) so I get a good dose of pretty much everything. The only thing i hate is the humidity we get around late june to early august.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a two year old and a five year old. I think about moving once or twice a week. lol

My wife and I would both love to move outside of Austin, but I would never find a job that pays what my current one does up there.

scottminot

Established Member
I think about it daily but I have it made financially right now. I bring in about $50,000 yearly, house is paid off, and no dependents. Only debt is my truck.

I would love to move to western N.C. Somewhere around Asheville. But the thought of starting over and trying to find work and getting into debt again keeps me in the shit hole of a town that I'm in.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
My wife and I talk about it daily, hopefully I get into the military branch I want and then will get to experience a whole lot of travel whether I like it or not

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Nope. Just get the urge to want to say **** it all and walk up into the mountains and live it out Indian style. Screw civilization.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Yeah I do sometimes. I live and grew up here in Orange County California. Sometimes I think it'd be nice to pick up and move to a neighbor state (Utah,Washington,Colorado) all beautiful open states with "cleaner" air then here. But I think family, friends and the weather keep me here.

Users who are viewing this thread