do you have to run a distributor and pushrod engine?

hazed

Established Member
like the title says, i was wondering if you have to run a distributor on a pushrod engine, or if you can use the ignition systems that the mod motors have? if not why? i appreciate all input

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Ford Does it with the V6 mustangs. They have a dummy shaft in place of the distributor that just reads. They have seperate coil packs that the computer controls.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think thats a good example. I also think the old 5.0 explorers used it too.

Matt

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The current ignition systems have been out before they did away with pushrods. Just about every engine on the market uses DIS and alot still have pushrods. Aftermarket companies make DIS packages you can buy to conert just about anything to DIS.

DIS= Distributorless ignition system, for those woundering.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
VirtualSVT said:
Ford Does it with the V6 mustangs. They have a dummy shaft in place of the distributor that just reads. They have seperate coil packs that the computer controls.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think thats a good example. I also think the old 5.0 explorers used it too.

Matt
I know the 4.0L V6 explorer did,not sure about the 5.0

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
MSD is good stuff...it's been around for a while so it should have fewer problems than others.

Just a thought...our 1987 Buick Park Avenue winter beater has a 3800 V6 with 225000 miles on, and had a crank trigger ignition stock...but we have had ignition problems with it since the day we brought it home.

Users who are viewing this thread