Do you stall when opening the gas cap?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Just noticed this. Car has never stalled otherwise.
:??:

Video

Established Member
Now that you mention it......the only time that I stalled was gassin her up with the car running, happened one other time too during a running gas up but it just idled really low for a sec then went back to normal idle.....interesting...

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
You leave your car running while gassing up? :??:
Do you talk on your cell phone at the pump too? :p

Video

Established Member
Well.....it was about 5 degrees outside and I had the heat blastin for the little lady inside...you know how it goes... ;)

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat

KABOOM!!!

I see people doing that s**t all the time and it scares the daylihhgts out of me at the gas station. Someone put up a picture in my office of a lady who blew up her mini-van 'cause she was gassin up and her cell phone rang while she was standing w/ her hand on the pump.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member

After posting, I figured everyone would assume that. Well, you're right. :)
Actually, this was the first time I'd ever left it running, hence the question. Hadn't had time to warm it up and was jumping right on the highway.

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
After posting, I figured everyone would assume that. Well, you're right. :)
Just giving you a hard time. Those signs at the pump that say "turn off engine" are just a waste of paper. ;-)
I know that if you leave your gas cap off you'll throw an SES light. I'd imagine it could cause a stall too.

TRBO VNM

not sure about these cars, but on my focus svt if you left the car running or left the cap off it would throw a computer code. so it couldbe somewhat related. Basically saying don't do it. Safety precaution

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
The returnless fuel system requires a closed pressure to function properly. You should NOT remove the gas cap on your car without shutting the engine off first.

That's why it dies, and why it throws SES lights.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Large evap leak will happen, then when the SES light comes on then you have no power, just not very smart. The light will also trigger if you just leave the key in the on position.

tigerwoods

Established Member
the phone thing is false. they did the experiement on discovery channels MYTHBUSTERS. they tried to catch a car on fire a bunch of times with the fire department right there and it never did. most gas pump fires are caused by static electricity. they also said most old people use a part of the car to help them get out so they ground themselves where as younger people just hop out and are more likley to have a gas pump fire. you can go to the discovery channels web site and read all about the experiement.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
Large evap leak will happen, then when the SES light comes on then you have no power, just not very smart. The light will also trigger if you just leave the key in the on position.

Straight from the horses mouth!

mosconiac

Established Member
Dude, even your CAR is smart enough to that it should be shut itself off when at the pump. Take the hint.

:)

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Originally posted by tigerwoods
the phone thing is false. they did the experiement on discovery channels MYTHBUSTERS. they tried to catch a car on fire a bunch of times with the fire department right there and it never did. most gas pump fires are caused by static electricity. they also said most old people use a part of the car to help them get out so they ground themselves where as younger people just hop out and are more likley to have a gas pump fire. you can go to the discovery channels web site and read all about the experiement.

That show is AWESOME!

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
might as well just top if all off by lighting up a smoke while your standing there too just to make sure you get full combustion ;p

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by tigerwoods

While it's true that cell phones don't seem to have caused this, static electricity can and has caused fires at gas pumps.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blgas-static-fires2.htm

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=1026463

I actually saw this video of a girl doing it too.

Video (right click Save As):

http://www.austinareastangs.com/Eddie/gas_fire_clip.avi

hmwave

Established Member
I'd have to think that pulling the pump handle out of the tank immediately after it catches fire is not the brightest thing to do (and that was just after she attempted to blow it out with her mouth!!!!! :nonono: :idea: :eek: ).

I'd be outa there PDQ!

Vince Vaughn

I smoke while pumping the gas

I smoke while tuning the carb on my 68 camaro

:fm:

Users who are viewing this thread