Do you think the digital age made life easier or harder

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Some things are great, try finding parts for a classic car before the internet, or a wiring diagram. Some things are worse, programs that make more work than the old paperwork, modules that used to be plug and play that now need programmed, or any product that makes you download an app to use.

MG0h3

Established Member
Specifically what things are you able to accomplish? Are they done to the quality of pre digital age?

I’m not saying accomplish in the sense of creating things.

But I was able to take online course while working full time. Increased my income 50% yr 1.

Planned our entire trip to Greece. I don’t even know how you did that before to be honest. Would you just call Marriott and say I need a room? Or I guess pay a travel agent. **** that.

All the coolest stuff we did and found were things my GF found online.

We use technology at work as a force multiplier. Biden has made that net zero though.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

robvas

Established Member
I remember as a kid, before we have GPS and Google Maps, my stepdad would get TripTiks from AAA. Basically maps with the route highlighted and then it had all the stops along the way. And then there was a travel guide book with info on all the hotels and restaurants.

Fun reading in the car if your gameboy batteries died!

Attachments

• IMG_8157.png
    IMG_8157.png
    766.3 KB · Views: 47

MG0h3

Established Member

MG0h3

Established Member
Oh god, forgot to mention banking and having to mail things.

**** that.

My parents still write checks to themselves and drive to the bank to deposit it to transfer money between accounts.

Geez. And could you imagine still beating off to the Frederick’s of Hollywood catalog.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
I remember as a kid, before we have GPS and Google Maps, my stepdad would get TripTiks from AAA. Basically maps with the route highlighted and then it had all the stops along the way. And then there was a travel guide book with info on all the hotels and restaurants.

Fun reading in the car if your gameboy batteries died!
I remember those. My grandparents used them when we traveled around the country when I was a kid.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Oh god, forgot to mention banking and having to mail things.

**** that.

My parents still write checks to themselves and drive to the bank to deposit it to transfer money between accounts.

Geez. And could you imagine still beating off to the Frederick’s of Hollywood catalog.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Back before photoshop when you could still clearly see the nips and landing strips.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I think it's (technology) a necessity, and one that peaked around 2000ish. I've been in IT since the late 90's and while I know that a lot of the work we have done has made life better for some people, social media platforms like Facebook, IG, X, etc have given a platform to millions if not billions of people who would have been ignored for their stupidity before that. I genuinely have some regret for my extremely small part in the enabling of everything that has happened in the last 15-20 years.

I keep hearing all the tech "leaders" (execs with an ivy league degree but no sense at all) talk about how AI is our future and I just keep thinking I don't have enough ammo for this... I saw the documentaries in the "Terminator" series, and these clowns are running full speed ahead into the iceberg that sunk the Titanic.

Blown 89

Established Member
Much harder overall. There's an illusion that it's easier and that we are all happier but much of life's problems are entirely due to or made worse by technology.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Much harder overall. There's an illusion that it's easier and that we are all happier but much of life's problems are entirely due to or made worse by technology.

I can't think of a single thing that the digital world has made harder.

I think miserable people will always be miserable. The person who gets jealous today of their cousin's new car that her husband bought her, that she saw pictures of on FB.... that's the same person that in 1980 would have stood outside of church or the grocery store and gossiped with a friend they ran into.

The whole "people are glued to their phones" that so many say... kids were glued to gameboy when I was younger. Maybe comics 10 years before that. My retired grandparents watched the news nonstop when I was a kid, like 6am, 8am, noon, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 9pm, etc. They also read the newspaper daily. Today, the news is in your hands. Different format, easier access.

tistan

Established Member
I can't think of a single thing that the digital world has made harder.

I think miserable people will always be miserable. The person who gets jealous today of their cousin's new car that her husband bought her, that she saw pictures of on FB.... that's the same person that in 1980 would have stood outside of church or the grocery store and gossiped with a friend they ran into.

The whole "people are glued to their phones" that so many say... kids were glued to gameboy when I was younger. Maybe comics 10 years before that. My retired grandparents watched the news nonstop when I was a kid, like 6am, 8am, noon, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 9pm, etc. They also read the newspaper daily. Today, the news is in your hands. Different format, easier access.
Really? As a conservative, the digital world has suppressed the rights freedom to express our view points. It is a lot harder get our views to the public.

tistan

Established Member
Things that it made easier.

I can order groceries to my house

I can run most of the financial part of my business online.

I don’t have to go to the movies or wait 6 months for it to be released.

I can live 1500 miles from friends and family and still feel like I’m there.

GPS is great for avoiding traffic accidents.

Things that it makes harder.

People always feel like they have access to you.

My privacy is nonexistent, and everyone is out to steal your info.

I don’t feel like any of my online banking is really secure.

They keep trying to force me to make passwords more complicated so that I can’t just have them in my head. I’ve believe I have never had my info stolen because I don’t save passwords anywhere.

Hiding behind computers has turned everyone into pussies.

The digital age is supposed to be more accurate, yet I constantly get the glitch in the system excuse from everyone now.

I remember when credit cards went electronic and you could pay quickly. Now you have to jump through 4-5 questions in order to check out at every retailer. It isn’t so bad if it’s just me in line, but waiting on the dumb ****ing people to slowly process the info is painful. Now I have retailers tell me they won’t warranty without giving up my email.

Same thing with pumping gas.

You go out to a bar and everyone is in their phone.

Nobody gives a **** if you take your business elsewhere. You’re just another transaction.

You have so much access to information that it is impossible to retain any of it.

Peoples ****tarded view points are constantly pushed on you as truth.

Air travel has become slow and painful to the point that if the destination is withing a 12 hour drive, I’ll just drive.

Almost forgot, no one wants to work anymore. Not really sure if this is a digital age thing or just a societal thing.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I say it has made things easier, but for both good and bad reasons.

On the good side it has given me the ability to do research and learn things I might not otherwise know how to do.

Now, I am old school, so back in the day I used my Chiltons manual to repair my car, used my home phone or pay phone to make calls, drove to the local video store to rent movies, drove to the bank to make deposits, withdrawals or transfers and went to the post office to mail out my payments for my bills.

Today I can go to YouTube and learn how to diagnose and fix problems in my home (i.e. my HVAC system, water heater, washer and dryer, oven/stove, refrigerator, TV and other appliances. (And yes, I have repaired all those items at one point myself)). Once I diagnosed the problem I can research the part number and purchase the part and it will be delivered to my home so I can fix my appliance. I have learned how to weld by watching YouTube videos. No need to leave my house or go to a class. I have built my 65 Mustang and many things I have found online has enabled me to do that.

I can pay my bills online, can do my banking online, make loan applications from my phone, purchase a vehicle in another state without having to be there and so on.

However, on the bad side it has given a voice to people who should otherwise not have a voice in my opinion. Instead of me trying to explain it I'll let Sebastian do it. I think this sums up the bad very well.....

Users who are viewing this thread