Does anyone have CarFax access?

phil a

Established Member
Hi

We're looking at a 2017 Explorer Sport in a couple of days. One owner, 85k miles. We're going to need a third row with another kid on the way. The lady selling it sent me a VIN - hoping someone here has access and wouldn't mind running it.

VIN: 1FM5K8GT8HGD42891

Does anyone have any input on these Explorers? Seems like a good all-around vehicle from what I can tell. This is the worst time to buy used, but hey what can you do. Any other suggestions in this type of vehicle? Needs to be >6,000lb GVWR which is the only hang-up for smaller SUVs. She doesn't want anything 'big' like a Tahoe/Yukon.

Thanks

Phil

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The PTU and water pump IIRC are the two items to be wary of on the explorer 3.5LTT. The water pump is internal.

Did the seller say if the PTU was ever serviced?

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Like the guy above said those are the main issues.

In 2016 ford changed the ptu some and made some improvements (holds more fluid and is supposed to become less hot) so you would have the better version. I don't remember all the details on this but there was some kind of upgrade in 2016.

I drive a 2017 daily and only issue I had was a the clock spring was noisey and changed radio stations when turning the steering wheel (was changed by warranty), and seat heater also went out. Also have hadike 5 recalls or so on it.

Hopefully someone can help out with a Carfax for you.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

phil a

Established Member
Awesome! Thanks guys

I’ll admit I had to look up PTU on Google to see what you were talking about. I don’t know if she’s had any recalls but I’ll definitely ask.

Thanks again

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread