Does anyone have polished & ported heads?

Justin Blackwell

Established Member
I was just curious if anyone has polished and ported their heads. Was it worth the money? How much quicker was it? Just wondering, thinking about changing cams when I get the new '01 intercooler, intake, and blower. The cams will be $400. Might as well do it all at one time.

Need4Speed

Established Member
Tim Burntire has ported and polished heads along with cam regrinds.

There was also a recent article in MM/FF about this subject. I also think some other tuners are working with cams without much success at this point.

Lastly, I'm sure Jim could help you with the pros and cons for your application and expectations.

TimBurntire

Established Member
If it ever cools off down here in Florida, I think we'll have a REAL good idea about wether or not the P&P worked. I do seem to run stronger than all the other L's that don't run NOS. We'll see.

What kind of cams did you get? The regrinds at Crane are about $220.00 for the pair.

Justin Blackwell

Established Member
TimBurnTire,
The cams will come from SC Performance.com. The left cam will be a 95 grind and the right cam will be a 94 grind. It will shift the whole power band up 500-600rpms where I want it to be. I plan on doing this in a couple of months when I go to change to a '01 intercooler, intake, and blower. I also plan on adding 4.10's, traction bars, elec. fan kit and R' pump, JBA headers, gut my cats, Magnaflow X pipe, flowmasters, Denso plugs, etc... The cams are $265 exchange and you have to buy caps or something that goes with it($85). I figure 4.10's would help me push this heavy thing since I can tach out at 6000rpms. The torque should shift to 4200rpms or so and the horsepower should shift to 5600rpms or so. I might me wrong because I am not a certified tech, but this is what I figured will happen when I get this done(I have been putting a lot of thought into this). If tuned right I figured a .75 to .9 of a second improvement overall with all of these bolt-ons. Maybe a full second with a race chip. I am still doing some research on some of these parts(exhaust). The cams are good for all of these mods plus the ones I have already and even a little 100 shot of nitrous. I talked to Tom at SC Performance. He came to the conclusion of what size grind I need compared to the mods I have and the ones I am going to do. He seems to have it down to a science.

They are also experimenting with titanium rotor shafts for the EATON blower that let us spin it more faster than the 19500rpm max that they are now. At 6000 rpms my truck will be spinning nearly it's max with my JL#3 pulley. I am looking in to that also.

TimBurntire, just wondering where you got your headers and how to you like them? How much were they? Ceramic coated? Any other exhaust work?

Last edited:

Need4Speed

Established Member
Justin -

I have the long tube headers and got them through a "vendor." I think they were made by CFH. They are 1 5/8" primaries; not sure what size Tim Burntires are.

I did a before and after dyno and would be happy to share the results with you. Also, you might be interested in my experience with the vendor I got them from.

TimBurntire

Established Member
The headers I bought are the CFH headers. They are ceramic coated. I paid $1000.000 for them. I bought them over a year ago when no one else had LT headers, so the price may have come down alittle now that there is competition. I have had more than one tech that worked on my truck that they are by far the best headers they have seen. I agree.

I can't tell you what the headers alone gave me because I did all of the stuff you say you're going to do at the same time. I had it dynoed after the install (of all the parts, including the cams) and had 400rwhp with the Diable chip. Since then I have put in a torque converter, better traction bars, the 2001 intake (when I had my intercooler fixed) and am using the JDM chip. Much stronger (have not had it dynoed lately).

You might hold off on doing anything with the blower. There just might be something better to come along very soon.

Tim

TimBurntire

Established Member
Forgot to mention the power band with the cams. Mine are rated to 6000 rpms also and make the most HP @5250 and decline much less than the straight cams do after that.

I shift @ the 5650 mark and still have 370+ HP at the rear wheel.

I don't take it any higher out of concerns for the weakest link effect. In other words, just because the cams are rated that high rpm, doesn't mean everything else is.

Anyway, good luck with you rebiuld, and let us know how it comes out.

Tim

Justin Blackwell

Established Member
NEED4SPEED,
I am interested in your dyno results with your headers and who you got them from. How much did you give for them?
I appreciate any info.

TimBurnTire,
I was also interested where you got your headers at. NEED4SPEED's headers might be the same as yours. I may end up giving them a try.
Also, where did you get your heads P & P?
Just wondering. Talked to a guy, Bill, that works at Powerheads in CA. They P & P heads for the L for $1175.00. It consists of porting the intake from 1.75 to 1.78 and the exhaust from 1.42 to 1.48. It also comes with new valve guides, springs, and titanium valves. Don't know if it is worth the money. May wait until another time.

TimBurntire

Established Member
I bought my heads from BaBolt. They were ported to the gasket hole size, which makes sense. I also have the 2001 intake (also ported).

I bought the heads completed (new) for 1750.00.

They have the original springs (crane told me they were ok to 6000rpm) and the original valves.

Tim

Justin Blackwell

Established Member
Tim,
You should be porting and polishing your way into the 11's by now. What are you turning in the 1/4 mile?
I think I am going to wait till later on the heads. Think I will come back to them when I buy a stroker kit (should be on the market late next year). Right now I am going to concentrate on figuring out what to do with my exhaust(believe I know what kind of headers to get), getting 4.10's, elect. fan, R' pump, traction bars, plugs, and '01 upgrade all together.
Where can I find a set of CFH headers?
Have you done anything special with the rest of your exhaust?

TimBurntire

Established Member
CFH-734-341-6869
Steve

Lightning performance also has long tube headers.
541-885-7730 (Mike)

My best is [email protected] in very hot &humid S. Florida. I think I'll bring that down 2-3 tenths with some nice cool dry air this winter.

One other thing to consider if going with cams is the size of your slicks. I was using the 26x10x16 ET streets. When they wore out I decided to go to a taller 28" tire and wider rims. They work ok but my rpms are now lower through the traps and I don't think I'm getting the full benefit of the cams. None the less, my best times are on these tires, I just don't know if they would be better with the shorter tires. FYI

The only other thing I have done to my exhaust is to put an x-pipe in it to even the crossover flow (side exhaust). I had Borla Stainless racing mufflers on it , but took them off before I went deaf. I'm currently running the stock muffler, which by the way has a great tone due to having no cats and l/t headers.

I also think I would run quite a bit faster if I could get my truck (chip) redone by a tuner while on a dyno, but there are no local S-chip tuners. (Jim, are you listening? Hurry-up and get down here!)

Tim

Last edited:

Need4Speed

Established Member
Justin -

I'll bring my dyno sheets to Ennis. I got mine from Mike at Lightning performance. Having seen pictures of the CFH headers and the one's I have, I swear they are the same. All the people that have seen mine have also raved about the build quality. They have nice thick ceramic coated tube and thick exhaust flanges. They fit perfect out of the box and I think they were $875.

I have a custom exhaust that has high flow cats, H-Pipe and dual Dynomax Race Magnums. Just with the headers JDM filter and very early 01 program; I'm at 384 rwhp on a dynojet.

I've since added a BABolt T/B and have a JDM fan kit and Cobra water pump sitting in the garage. While in Ennis, I will have the JDM lower pulley installed and a new program burned (perhaps I'll trade for a flip). Hopefully Jim can take a look at my A/F and dial me in even more.

I've seen others with similar set-ups turning out 415 plus rwhp. I can't wait to get this all done over the next few weeks.

See you in Ennis.

Justin Blackwell

Established Member
Thanks guys for your help. I believe I will try the same headers that you both have. I was thinking of gutting my cats, adding a x-pipe and keeping my stock muffler like yours Tim. Both of your set-ups sounds like you both have some really good-sounding trucks.
I will see you both in Ennis next week.
P.S. I wonder if I will have the only L with missing fog lights.LOL

Mondo1

Established Member
Your forgetting that when Tim "hogged" out his heads, he also reduced the velocity of the super"charge" of the incoming forced air.I spoke with him this past Sunday(he lives 1 mile from me) and all he needs to do is increace the psi's of his S/C and...voila!! (can you say m166 blower ,boys and girls??)The porting will most definatley come into play then!I think we will all be looking at these trucks in a different light when this blower is released.Lets just hope its soon...and Tim....thnks for volunteering as the "guinea-pig".:D :D :D

Juiced99

Established Member
Justin,

I dont know if you remember me, but I bought your 80mm mass air off of you in tyler. I just wanted to tell you if you want a set of brushed aluminum speed grills for your truck I got them for sale. I wanna see your truck again, you should roll through Tyler on Friday or saturday night. And see if you can hang with me now. Haaaaahhaaaa.

Users who are viewing this thread