Does anyone have the answer to this question?

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Basic question, but can't find a direct answer. This deals with the tuning done to me car.

For my SCT hand held tuner, I have 3 settings. The 91 octane and the 94 octane, and then the 100 octane for nitrous.

For the 94 octane setting, what will happen if I put in 91? I did it, and it seems like the car is a little bit slower, maybe just in my mind? I don't hear any audible knocking or pinging. Could I get away with it, or will it knock if I get on it REALLY hard? I think the tuner said that the 94 setting will get me 15 more horses, because he tuned a bit aggressively with it? What do you fellow members think about it. Just curious thats all.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
If your tune is set for 94 octane, do not run 91 octane. I assume your tuner put more timing in the engine for the higher octane. If I were you, I wouldn't be getting into boost unless you change back your tune to 91 octane.

Tommy98016

Heavy Ass Vert
Established Member
NHRACobra said:
If your tune is set for 94 octane, do not run 91 octane. I assume your tuner put more timing in the engine for the higher octane. If I were you, I wouldn't be getting into boost unless you change back your tune to 91 octane.

+ 1

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I doubt that you're going to find anyone who'll tell you it's OK to run 91 on a 94 tune, ESPECIALLY an aggresive one

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Cool, thanks for all the opinions guys. Yeah I like the 94 octane setting better anyhow. But if I ever do switch back to 91, I will use the 91 setting, on my hand held and be done with it. Thanks again.

Machinator

Banned
Stick with your tuners guide lines with the octane settings or you are asking for a popped engine. No bones about it man I would say that 99 percent of blown 03/04 Cobra engines were from faulty tunes/poor octane/or 160+mph runs with no cooling mods.
Scott

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
Do you want to burn your motor up? Thats what you should ask yourself.... is it worth it? Not for surely saying it will, but it will not help any part of your motor, thats for SURE.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Okay guys I got the hint, thats what I thought originally, but wanted to see your responses. For me it was more of a performance issue, the car ran crappy with 91 on a 94 setting. The difference was noticeable. I didn't get on the gas too hard to notice it either. Plus my hand held was at home, I usually leave it in the car, duh. So I could only find 91 at the time, and didn't change the setting right away. No biggie. Yeah I'm also subscribing to the thread where a member blew up his motor at 17,000miles. Check it out on here, its getting interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread