Does anyone know if it's possible to reprogram a keyless entry fob on your own?

CobraJohn01

Established Member
I have 2 left over keyless entry remotes from my Cobra and I want to use them for our Explorer that has an old, crappy one. Is it possible to reprogram the remotes yourself without going to a dealer? I remember when my girlfriend got her Mustang back in 2000, they couldn't find one of her 2 remotes and the guy in the service dept just grabed an extra one from his parts dept, sat in the car and did something where he turned the key a few times in the ignition or something after a few seconds then he got out of the car and tried it and it worked. Anyone know any trick like that or would I really have to go to the dealership and pay to have this done?

bssmith1220

Established Member
Not real sure how to do it on Fords(I work at nissan), but someone should be able to help you out. It does not require any special tools, just the knowledge to do it.

TXLIGHTNING

Established Member
you have to cycle your ignition on and off i believe like 8 times then your locks will cycle and then hit lock on the remote and your done

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
quik6 said:
it says how in the owners manual

ditto. There's a set procedure you have to follow like how TXLIGHTNING described...but its right there in your manual.

CobraJohn01

Established Member
I looked in the manual and I don't remember seeing anything in there. But it's very possible I might have missed it so I'll check again. Thanks for the info everyone.

SinisterSHO

Machine of Hate
Established Member
I'm pretty sure Autozone sells new key fobs, so ideally, they should have the instructions on how to do it. Also, I know you can do it, but certian transmitters only work for certian year cars.

CobraJohn01

Established Member
yeah, it's starting to appear that either a.) the transmitter from my '01 Cobra won't work with a '97 Explorer. Or b.) the batteries are dead in the Cobra transmitter. Oh well. It was worth a try.

PDubs

Established Member
You can do it. I bought my girlfriend one off of eBay and it came with instructions similar to what TXLIGHTNING posted. It was something like:

Car in neutral, turn ignition from OFF to RUN 5 times (maybe more, can't remember) within 10 seconds, ending in RUN.
Doors will cycle to acknowledge ready.
Within 15 seconds, press any button on the remote.
Door locks will cycle to confirm.
Do this for every button. When done, turn ignition to OFF. Locks will cycle to confirm end of programming.

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
One thing about the last comment, you dont have to do the on,off thing for every button. Just do the cycle, and click all the buttons.

04slvr_snake

Established Member
madmatt said:
One thing about the last comment, you dont have to do the on,off thing for every button. Just do the cycle, and click all the buttons.

If you do this for every button only the last one will work. It clears all the codes from your key fobs everytime you program a new remote. In order to have all work you must do all of them at the same time. I have remotes if you need them

CobraJohn01

Established Member
madmatt said:

Ok, so when I do the key thing in the ignition, I get the acknowlegement by the locks locking and unlocking. Then what I was doing was just pressing one button (usually the lock button) on the remote and nothing would happen regardless of just pressing it and releasing it real quick or holding it down for several seconds. So, what you're saying I should have been doing is pressing each button, one after the other until a 4 are pressed once? Or do I hold all 4 down at the same time for a couple seconds?

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
Press each until all four have been pressed once. This is how it worked for me anywho.

CobraJohn01

Established Member
Well, pressing all 4 of the buttons didn't work in any pattern. So, either the transmitter isn't compatible with the car, or the batteries are dead in both of them. And the two transmitters have been sitting in a drawer for about 4 years now not being used so I doubt the batteries are dead. Thanks anyways for the help guys. It's appreciated.

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
Did you ever actually find your owners manual and see where it says how many times to turn the key on and off? That is VERY important, and you have to do it very quickly.

CobraJohn01

Established Member
Yeah, I have the manual right here and the only thing it says about reprogramming anything is for the outside keypad on the door. I've read on here and one other forum to try 5 times and 8 times with the key. I've tried them both and done it very fast and still nothing. My truck is just retarded I guess. Just like everything else I own.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
The remote is different for the trucks and cars and they are not compatible.

Take a look at this <click me>

A google search will yeild tons of choices, ebay has a shit load too.

My Son got one for his 95 explorer for $25, shipped.

Good luck.

-Brian

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Like was said, i dont see them being compatible. There are different remotes, for different cars, but if im not mistaken, you just have to kit one button, to program the remote.

Users who are viewing this thread