Does FORD do any type of break in on R motors.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by kj385
Just wondering as they use 15w50 mobil 1 for factory.(2000 R)
The motor in the R has some really good internals... including forged pistons, Manley H rods, billet crank, etc... and because these cars were mainly built to go racing, you really WANT and NEED synthetic lubricants... hence, the reason for the Mobil 1.

I also use synthetic in my diff (Royal Purple) as well as water wetter and water combo in my radiator.

The Mobil 1 is kinda pricey (9 quarts per service) but it is very cheap insurance IMHO. I change mine directly after every track event. I know it probably is waaay overkill, but I sleep well at night knowing that my engine has fresh oil always. Especially given how hard I push my car at the track... :bash: Btw: I have had ZERO problems with my engine at the track... does not burn a drop of oil in between service intervals. Just put gas in the thing and let her rip!!! :D

As far as breakin is concerned... The guy I bought mine from (a personal friend) said he was told when he bought it to slowly increase revs from 0 to about 600-1000 miles.. then open her up! I bought the car from him with only 1300 miles (I now have over 8000 on it) and I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever with the motor! The R motor is basically bullet proof!

Last edited:

kj385

Established Member
I agree. To me synthetic is worth every penny. I just find it funny that all these people say if you use it for break-in it's going to hurt the motor.

BRIMSTONE

The R motor is very tough. I overheated at Laguna Seca, had to make my way around the track to the pits, car barfed up most of the water wetter mix, fixed the problem, came back out and ran the rest of the day - no noticeable amount of oil loss. Also - the motor started up just fine after my accident which was a huge relief.

My Z06 on the other hand burned about a quart after some hard driving at the track. I understand many cars burn oil under hard driving though, so I'm a bit surprised about the R. I though maybe I just don't drive it as hard as I should but looks like Andy has experienced the same thing.

Mike

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Mike,

Isn't that chevy motor infamous for it's oiling issues? I remember reading that oil consumption was a big problem on the early Z06's but they were supposed to have fixed it for 02.

They are also known for spinning bearings. Not good......

Andy M

Established Member
Some words on oil consumption...

1st - the R uses absolutely NO oil between oil service intervals! It doesn't much matter how hard I pound on it either. Joe and I went to Hallet in May to the Porsche Club event there and I ran the crap out of my car and it used absolutely not a drop of oil.

2nd - oil consumption on some engines seems to be related to tolerances and compression?? For instance, my 2000 M5 had a 4.9 liter V8 with 10.5:1 compression and due to the blow-by because of the piston and ring tolerances... it used about 1 quart of oil every 3000 miles or so.. didn't much matter how it was being driven. When I sold it in April with 15K miles on the clock, it was still using the same amount of oil in between changes. BMW swears that this was normal consumption and most of my M5 buddies were experiencing the same general consumption patterns that I was.

In summary, some engines burn more oil than others, but this is not necessarily to be considered a negative thing. It just means that the engineers who designed them used different tolerances with different outcomes in mind. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless my car were burning in excess of the normal amount specified by the manufacturer under a given set of operating parameters.

BRIMSTONE

The 2001 Z06's had oil consumption problems - and required new rings which were covered under warranty. The 2002 Z06's do not have oil consumption problems - but as Andy stated, they may burn a normal amount of oil (as considered by manufacturer) under hard driving.

The 00 R motor gets respect from everyone, GM guys included (no I'm not a GM guy I'm a car guy).

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread