Does the 96-98 fuel tank have a charcoal canister?

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I'm drawing a blank. I know 03 had one mounted above the tank, but does the 96-98? My car reeks of fuel to the point where I can't keep it in the garage anymore. I've checked all the fittings and there are no signs of leaks. Talking to aeromotive, he says the pushloc lines and the A1000 regulator can weep fumes. Or it could be my charcoal canister malfunctioning.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
okay I do kind of remember that.

Is there a rubber line running to the tank? I don't remember seeing one. I'm wondering if I didn't hook it up.

Could I possibly switch to the 03 style canister that sits above the tank?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I bet it's the lines.

I have no first-hand experience but several places I've talked to when researching my fuel system said they won't use the Aeromotive pushlock lines because they weep and smell permeates out of them. I was told the black lines are worse for this condition than the blue lines are, for whatever reason.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I've got the black ones.

It really upsets me that there weren't huge disclaimers on them. So hard to prove that they're the component making the smell. I smelled around the FPR while the car was running and I was certain I smelled fuel fumes as well. Especially if I pulled the boost line off.

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
i have steel braided lines and the garage smells like fuel. the charcoal canister on 96-98 is in the pass wheel well and later models on the tank. but more than likely its just from your line, no getting around it

Mustang Matt

Established Member
In hindsight, I almost wonder if running a second metal supply line would have been a better option. I'm not sure how difficult it is to bend metal line to conform to the body of the car though.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I bet it's the lines.

I have no first-hand experience but several places I've talked to when researching my fuel system said they won't use the Aeromotive pushlock lines because they weep and smell permeates out of them. I was told the black lines are worse for this condition than the blue lines are, for whatever reason.

You win it was the lines but not the ones you thought!

I had pushlock going from the tank to the back of the rails and braided rubber going from the front of the rails to the regulator. I replaced the braided rubber with braided teflon and the fumes are completely gone!

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
You win it was the lines but not the ones you thought!

I had pushlock going from the tank to the back of the rails and braided rubber going from the front of the rails to the regulator. I replaced the braided rubber with braided teflon and the fumes are completely gone!

Glad to hear you got it figured out! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread