Does the Barometric Absolute Pressure (BAP) sensor and SC Bypass work together?

ironstang

Established Member
The BAP is located on driver's side, back of supercharger, small little flat square with 4 wires. Contained on one of the wires is the potentiometer(pressure or temp) feed.

The SC bypass solenoid is located on driver's side of supercharger near the EGR stuff, 3 vacum hoses, 2 wires.

What does the BAP do and how does it work together if at all with the SC bypass solenoid?

46stang

Established Member
you are partially correct. that sensor you are referring to is actualy a MAP sensor, manifold absolute pressure sensor, it tells the pcm basically how much boost or vac is in the lower intake! So i would assume the pcm uses this info to determine weather or not to turn on the bypass solenoid! I'm sure it looks at other things too though!
oh the Bap sensor or Baro sensor is incorperated into the maf sensor to determine altitude. hope that helps??
Leon

cobra racing

Established Member
The Map sensor (reading in hertz) also tells the pcm what the load of the engine is on a N/A application and will read boost in a S./C. This has a barometric reading built in to the unit.
Does anyone know what the limits of this unit is?
GM Map sensors are rated at 1,(0-15" vac)2(15" vac-15psi) or 3 (15"- 30 psi) bar maps. I wonder if these units can read more than 15 PSI of boost?

ironstang

Established Member
Thanks.

I'm not sure if it's a MAP or BAP, because the Ford Electrical Schematic drawing page 25-3 identifies it as a BAP
4 wires with circuit #
351 Reference voltage
356 Potentiometer(pressure or temp) feed
359 signal return
1291 Barometric Absolute Pressure BAP

I just don't know exactly what is used from them?
Basically if there is a way to run without either sensor and reprogram my EEC, since my processor/wiring doesn't have the pins for those sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread