Does this sound like a transmission issue to you??

Omidster

Established Member
Hello everyone
Let me start off by saying that I did plenty of research and I am in the process of getting the quadrant and firewall adjuster. My issue is that I just had the clutch, flywheel, Throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and clutch fork replaced with the following parts

McLeod Super StreetPro Clutch Kits 75204 (Throwout bearing included)
Ford Racing Flywheels M-6375-G46A
Timken Clutch Pilot Bearings FC68329

Before the install, I had a hard time getting in the reverse, and other gears would start out fine and would progressively get more difficult to get in to as the car got hotter. Now that the new parts are on the car the issues are
1. It is impossible to get in reverse when the car is on
2. It is very hard to shift to any gear from stop.
3. Once in gear and car is running it shifts to other gears with NO problem.

The transmission shop suggested that the tranny needs to be opened and inspected, but I thought, I would try the aftermarket firewall adjuster and quadrant first. My question is do you guys think this is a tranny issue, specifically synchros?

Car has typical bolt-ons, pulley, intake, exhaust, tune.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Last edited:

Bigggy

Established Member
Did you change the cable? I have a similar problem after a complete swap including a steeda cable. Ive found here someone who tried everything and in the end it was the steeda cable. This week im taking the tranny out again and putting back the oem cable at the same time.

Omidster

Established Member
I have not changed the cable, however, I will do that now that you mentioned your finding. Please keep me posted once you put the OEM cable back in. Thank you.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
First thing I would do is tighten the clutch cable to make sure then when the clutch is pushed in, it is disengaging from the flywheel.

Jefe

Established Member
You did all that and didn't upgrade the adjuster and quadrant?! Thats the first thing every Mustang owner needs to do. Get those on there, buy an OEM cable just in case you need it and adjust it so the TOB isn't riding the plate. I just went through this and the car was impossible to get in gear if not adjusted to the right length with the firewall adjuster. Get it where it needs to be and it will shift very smoothly

Are you hearing a chirping sound at all when you push the clutch pedal? Have you checked the trans fluid level?

Why was the clutch fork replaced?

Omidster

Established Member
Hey thanks for the help, the clutch was replaced because it was slipping, I have not noticed any noise but I will double check when I get home. the install was done at a shop :bash: and they tried to tell me that the transmission needs to be opened, and that was when I took the car home. I will also check the fluid level. I've ordered the MM kit and it should get here tomorrow so I will be installing the cable, quadrant, and the adjuster this weekend.

You did all that and didn't upgrade the adjuster and quadrant?! Thats the first thing every Mustang owner needs to do. Get those on there, buy an OEM cable just in case you need it and adjust it so the TOB isn't riding the plate. I just went through this and the car was impossible to get in gear if not adjusted to the right length with the firewall adjuster. Get it where it needs to be and it will shift very smoothly

Are you hearing a chirping sound at all when you push the clutch pedal? Have you checked the trans fluid level?

Why was the clutch fork replaced?

Jefe

Established Member
Slipping could have meant it was out of adjustment too. Did they show you the stock pieces? Hopefully they actually did need replacing.

Mine was hard to shift and didnt engage smoothly right before the plastic disc on the clutch cable broke

Omidster

Established Member
As far as slipping, you are right it could have and I am a total noob when it comes to transmission.

Slipping could have meant it was out of adjustment too. Did they show you the stock pieces? Hopefully they actually did need replacing. Mine felt very strange right before the clutch cable broke

Omidster

Established Member
Ask them for the parts back!!

I did get the parts back, I also bought my own parts. I made sure they put the new clutch in as I live very close to the shop and showed up as they took out the old one and stayed there till they put the new one on. LOL might sound paranoid but I just can't trust shops. And as of now, I really hope its just a cable issue and nothing more.

Jefe

Established Member
Hows the clutch disc look? And the clutch fork? Any pics?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I agree that this sounds like a cable adjustment issue, and with any single disc aftermarket clutch you should really do a firewall adjuster and quadrant. best of luck with it!

Omidster

Established Member
Hows the clutch disc look? And the clutch fork? Any pics?

I dont have any pics of the fork but here are some pics of the clutch and flywheel. Really appreciate the help.

20131025_163930_zpsbeb664f1.jpg

20131025_163924_zpsad2161cc.jpg

20131025_163921_zps98f2756d.jpg

Last edited:

Omidster

Established Member
I really hope so, hopefully I get around to install the quadrant and adjuster this weekend.

I agree that this sounds like a cable adjustment issue, and with any single disc aftermarket clutch you should really do a firewall adjuster and quadrant. best of luck with it!

Users who are viewing this thread